Empty Hive body on top of one full of frames.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Watchdog2020, May 10, 2010.

1. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

When I installed the packages a little over a week ago there were a lot of bees that were still on top of the frames of the hive body. I didn’t want to squish them with the inner cover so I placed an empty hive body on top, then the inner and outer cover. I’ve looked in from the top and the bees don’t seem to know I’m even there and are on the frames doing there thing. One hive has bees on both sides of 3 center frames and one has them on four frames. This also helps me satisfy my 12 year old sons ‘what are the bees doing’ without disturbing them.

Is it ok to leave the empty body on top of the one full of frames until I need to place frames in it?

Maybe a silly question but we are VERY new to this.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No. NO. and NO. They will build comb from the inner lid. You are very lucky they have not already started. NEVER leave open space in a hive. They will fill it with comb before using frames or foundation.

3. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

Ooops - thanks. They have not built any above the frames in either hive or have I seen one bee up there. I'll pull them off tonight when I get home. - Thanks It will be a fun learning curve and I'm glad I found this forum. :D

4. Omie

Omie New Member

The frames and inner cover are constructed in such a way as to leave enough space for bees to run around on the tops of the frames without getting squished by the inner cover. Don't worry. :)

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Bee space is approxomately 3/8", anything more and they will fill with propolis or burr comb.

If you are needing to move the bees down into the frames just a puff or two of smoke will do the trick.

Also make sure the frames in the box that is left are pushed up tight together leaving the slack space on one side or splitting the difference (I prefer to one side).

G3

6. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

I used 9-Frame Metal Frame Spacers placed right on the frame supports. Now I'm wondering if I should have done that because there is no slidding sidways to take out, just straight up.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have several metal nine frame spacers in my honey supers and only use them with drawn comb so the bees can draw the cells out a little more to make it easier to cut the cappings off.I don't use them in the brood nest because by lifting the frames straight up you might roll the queen,and they also give SHB a place to hide on the end of the frames. I'm from the old school, i like the tight ten frame ( deep or Med.) brood nest. Jack

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10 frames for drawing comb, and in brood chamber. 9 frames in honey supers after comb is drawn.

9. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Iddee are you saying to have 10 frames in a hive body and leave it that way :confused:

- and then in the honey supers use 10 frames till they draw out the comb then take one out and have a 9 frame honey super??? I have been reading about this lately and I hear from 8 - 9 frames in a honey super. I have just always used 10 frames all the way and I haven't experimented with 9 frames? :confused:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, that's what I'm saying, if you uncap and extract your honey. The only reason to use 9 frames is so the comb will be drawn out far enough for the uncapping knife to uncap without missing caps on the shallower cells. Otherwise, always 10 frames.

If you use 9 frames of foundation, they will draw wild comb between frames and you have a mess to contend with.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

personally I suspect watchdog could have left that empty box on top of a one week old installed package quite a while before having any problems. he is still about 3 weeks away from any real population growth.

watchdog has pointed to one problem of self spacers. that is they limit you to that number with no other option. when I am starting with new frames and foundation in a box I ALWAYS start with 10 frames. after the foundation is pulled all my boxes have 9 frames from the bottom board to the top of the stack. 9 frames has more to do with ventilation and the ease of inspection for myself (it just makes getting that first frame removed all so much easier). as you might expect I having nothing here that looks like a self spacer.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I bought one of those hand held bars that spaces your frames for nine frames several years ago,so when i extract a super that has the fixed metal nine bar rest in them i remove them.It makes cleaning the frame rest easier in the super and the only draw back is you have to remember to take it with you and it's another tool you have to carry with you :roll: . Jack