ENCAUSTICS - Painting with Beeswax and Damar Crystals

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by HAB, Feb 11, 2010.

1. HAB

HAB New Member

I Would like to post a link to my friend Neranza's website. She is a wonderful artist working with ENCAUSTICS - Painting with Beeswax and Damar Crystals. If you check it out I think you'll see something truly wonderful.
    HAB

http://www.neranza.com/

fr: Neranza,
    Encaustic means "to fuse" and every layer of wax has heat applied to fuse it to the previous layer. In ancient times hot coals would be put in a bag and waved over the painting. Today we are fortunate to have heat guns. Some people use heat lamps. I use an industrial gun and just love watching that moment when the wax just starts to melt and bond with the layer below it. As a former oil painter with a great supply of raw wax from my father, I mix my own colors by pressing the oil paint between paper towels for a few hours to get some of the oil out. I add this in small amounts to the wax that I first strained then remelted with damar crystals not to be confused with damar varnish that has had turpentine added. The crystals melt at a higher heat which gives the encaustic painting more durability. There are many sites and books with more details on how to paint with encaustic. I'm certainly hooked.

2. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Wow! that is very pretty!
    I've always admired painting, but I had no idea you could paint with bees wax! That's very cool, Thank you.

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Very nice, thank you for the share. I don't think I've seen any quite like that...my hats off to her :hi:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Is she from somewhere around Knoxville??

That is where the Sun Sphere is and Frozen Head is a national park above Wartburg (NW of Knoxville).

G3

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

woa.... very nice link. thanks hab,

6. HAB

HAB New Member

Yep. Knoxville. Are you familiar with the Blount Mansion in Knoxville?

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes I know of the Blount Mansion, had a bad head on crash right in front of it back in 1995. Very old lady lost control of her car in the rain and hit me head on, never did find my glasses, air bag rolled the hide off of both my wrist and seat belt left bruise from my left shoulder to right side of my belly.

Never been in it though, have been in the James White Fort just a few blocks away.

Do you visit K-town much HAB?

G3

8. XLB

XLB New Member

i'm not usually the guy for painting and picture art, but those are awesome. :thumbsup: thanks hab.

9. durga

durga New Member

great thanks...I'll keep it in mind.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: