Encourage wax building?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by onehorse, Jul 8, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

So, my understanding is that if you feed and you are feeding a light syrup, you should be encourage brood production. Heavy syrup for winter stores, pollen subs. for brood, but is there anything that will encourage comb production? We are in our second year here and we are still working on having bees pulling wax foundation and now that it is drying out quicker then a bone, the bees aren't as interested in pulling the foundation, unless they absolutely have too. Also, my understanding is that a dearth is what causes comb chewing. Please correct me?

2. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

pretty close.... spring is about the only time to be able to get them to draw wax.... I feed about a 1.5:2 water to sugar mix and am still having good results. wax production has slowed dramatically though.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

the 1:1 syrup simulates a nectar flow which in turn starts brood rearing. It will also get them to pulling comb if they think they neeed the room. Its not to late to get them to pull comb. Make sure they dont run out of feed and they dont back fill the brood chamber, however, once you get into late august early sept then it gets hard to get them to pull since they have shifted to getting ready for winter mode.