Enough Room?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeeNut, Mar 14, 2011.

1. BeeNut

BeeNut New Member

Hi! I have been wanting to to beekeeping for quite awhile now, and I have checked everything about my city. There is nothing on ordinances for bees or livestock, except for pigs ( :confused: ). I live in a pretty populated area in south Florida. Is there any way that I can keep a VERY small hive? Also, I made this picture as a rough draft for the amount of room I was planning to put a SMALL hive...

[​IMG]

:lol: This was a painting....

Thanks!

I'm sorry! I forgot to label, the Grey circle thing is a boat. :D
    Also, the small green circle is a little bush/tree.

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Sure you have plenty of room. I would however stick the bees behind a partition or something to get their flight path up. And perhaps a birdbath initially spiked with sugar water so they don't choose the pool as a water source.

3. BeeNut

BeeNut New Member

Awesome! Thanks so much. I think what I will do is face the hive towards the fence so they fly up and over. I have one more question though. Is it possible to keep a small scale beehive? I am not really planning on 2 or 3 hives... :shock:

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

With the right kind of management, yes. You can keep one hive and just do your best to accommodate them and prevent swarming. Although, I think that once you see how addictive beekeeping is you might want 2. You have enough room for a hive or two in between the top fence line and your horizontal 20ft line, facing either fence I think would work well. :thumbsup:

5. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Define small scale. That can be intrepreted many ways.
    One hive you can keep and if you monitor it you can pull off a nuc and sell it when they get congested before they swarm.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My first question is, does the pool belong to you or your neighbor?
    Then where are your boundaries? will be my next question.
    Thirdly, have you talked to your neighbors about having bees, and what was their reaction?

7. BeeNut

BeeNut New Member

Yes the pool is mine. I am hoping to face the hive directly opposite of the pool. The boundaries are the fences which are shown as brown in my rough draft picture. The left fence in the picture is mine as well, but my neighbor has a very thick bush along the entire fence. (She has a pool as well, but its about 150 feet away approx.). The top fence is facing my front yard and finally after about 60 feet, a road. I have not talked to my surrounding neighbors yet however. So, before I even do anything, I will have to go around and ask them. I live in Lighthouse Point, and it's pretty much a small city.

Well, I am worried about swarming. There are plenty of places to go to....like our roof :shock: ...But, I WILL keep monitoring them everyday. I have never heard of selling the hive though?

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would place the hive on the 35 and 20 intersection, facing away from the pool. It looks like that would give them about 10 feet to rise over the fence in front of them. Once at that height, they will fly to their destination without going any lower. They will return at the same height.

An artificial swarm can be created by removing the queen and a few frames of brood and stores, thus making them think they have swarmed and eliminating or greatly reducing the urge to do so. The resulting nuc should bring a hundred dollars or more which can be used to buy more bee stuff. :yahoo:

9. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Chances are should you have a swarm, you will in no way be able to pick were they go [ your roof, tree, neighbors swing set ? }

After the swarm collects, they will probably only be in a swarm stage for a couple of hours up to a day and a half, while they
    are looking for a place to build a hive, could be a mile away or more.

Once they build there hive they are no longer a swarm.

Back to the back of the bus.
    Haven't figured out why no ones said " forget the bus, get back on the turnip truck ! "

Murrell

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Too many of us qualify for the position.......

11. BeeNut

BeeNut New Member

I'm mostly worried about a swarm terrorizing my neighbors, then reporting me. What are the chances of a swarm occuring, and what MOSTLY causes a swarm? :confused:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A swarm is the only way honeybees have to propagate more hives. It's their way of reproduction. If a hive is healthy, it is going to reproduce. You can stave it off for a while, but eventually it is going to happen. The best you can do is create a controlled swarm. IE: split. Then they stay under your control.

13. BeeNut

BeeNut New Member

So from your earlier post I basically just take old bee frames and box, and create a small hive not too far away from the main hive?

Also what is a nuc? :confused:

I need to learn more..... :shock:

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nuc is short for nucleus. It is just a mini-hive that will develop into a full hive. Do a search on "walk away split". There are numerous ways it can be done. The nice thing is, you can recoup a sizable chunk of your bee expenses by selling the new hive or hives each year.