Entrance Confusion

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by babnik, May 20, 2011.

1. babnik

babnik New Member

I have had my hive a couple of months now, and as I explained in another post, it's an old hive. anyway, these hives were in long grass, and thus had restricted access to the entrance. Bees had started using a small hole at the top of the deep (thus space between deep and super) as their entrance. It's about the size of 2 maybe three bees, and causes a bit of congestion when foraging bees return. The bottom board entrance is now completely clear, but the bees refuse to use it. I guess they are creatures of habit. If I were to block off the hole at night (when all bees are in), would they start to use the proper entrance? Does it matter?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have just closed off all my upper entrances and yes, there will be a bit of confusion but they will quickly sort it out. In a few days they will be using the bottom entrance as if they always had.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i like to use top entrances

4. babnik

babnik New Member

Yes, just noticed another post on here about someone wanting to open a top entrance. I guess I could leave things as they are then. It's just that no one seems to be guarding the bottom entrance. Maybe they have CCTV? :)

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I leave both entrances open year round, it helps with ventilation both summer and winter. (unless i see robbing going on). I also think it helps if you have a queen exculder on and you have comb honey supers on, you have less tracking on the comb. If you block one entrance they have no problem using the other one. That's just my two cents worth :mrgreen: Jack

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

One of my hives, last year, used the bottom entrance. This spring, they are using the hole in the inner cover exclusively. The bottom entrance has never been blocked by grass or dead bees or anything. I can think of no reason for the switch except "bees will be bees."

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

entrances top and bottom can be used and manipulated for a variety of purposes.

anytime you change these knowns (for the bees) it take them awhile to adjust to the changes.

ps... I don't know if you took this hive down to the bottom board but on a large number of bees it is quite common for them to propolize closed the front entrance in the fall. they do this by building little propolize walls that extending from the bottom edge of the end bar (at the front of the hive) to the bottom board. it kind of creates a little lybrath (sp?) that the returning bees must pass thru.