Entrance Guard

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I saw a product that is designed to quarentine a colony to ensure it doesn't swarm. It is a cut down queen excluder modified to fit the hive entrance.

Doesn't the queen "lose weight" before swarming so she can fly? Will she then fit through the excluder?

It seems to go against nature to block them from swarming but then again is tricking them into staying in a wooden box and taking their honey kind of goes against nature. Idk.

Ed

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Does this product block the Drones also ??

Murrell

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Yes it does. I found it on 2 vendors sites.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have a very old version of what I think you are describing on the shelf in my work shop. I obtained this one in one of those one price takes it all kind of deal. although I have seen these 'contraptions' in catalogues way back when Heck was a pup I have never seen one actually on a hive. the one I have does have drone escapes like you might find on a pollen trap.

ps.... a full size queen excluder placed between the bottom box and the bottom board will accomplish much the same thing. not that I would encourage the use of an excluder in this fashion... actually a new bee keeper would most often be better served to learn how to manage the brood nest than to employ one of these clever 'appearing ' devices. imho and almost without exception almost all such devices do have some significant down side.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

^^Did you ever use it and if so did it stop them from swarming?

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I can think of two items you could be talking about. One is a queen/drown excluder that fits on the front of the hive.

The other is a queen trap that looks similar, but actually catches the queen when she tries to swarm.

Could you post a link so I know which you are referring to?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Thanks. That is an excluder only. I would never use one for more than a couple of days, and then not for swarm control. I have a few that I use when installing a swarm, to try and keep them from leaving until they get set up, but always remove them in 2 or 3 days.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I can think of two items

tecumseh ask:
    so what is the difference in the two items Iddee????

the item I have sitting on my shop shelf doesn't look exactly like the item in the brushy mountain picture. I would have to look again but I think the one I have has drone escapes holes in the two ends.

and no I have never used the item.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Just wondering----on more than one occasion I have found queens to have gotten to the other side of an excluder. I'll be darned if I know how they do it, but it's a definite fact that they can.

Why would a queen, determined to swarm, be unable to get out?
    I wouldn't count on it.

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello efmesch,
    with regards to excluders being swarm preventers, by the time you have the queen making an attempt to leave the colony, swarm cells are already started with queen larvae inside or capped over, and the old queen has stopped laying eggs to lighten up in preparation for the swarm flight, therefore with no new eggs or day old larvae to raise new queens with, should the new queens fight and kill each other, along with the old queen, therefore being hopelessly queenless. so the only thing accomplished is the possible loss of the old queen and the newly hatching queens. Swarm prevention, many conclude is a fantasy, but I do believe in it, and with only one execption, believe I have preveneted my colonies from swarming. does require brood manipulation, and proper supering. There are those that use swarms to replace winter losses. As to the queens on the otherside of the excluder, might I suggest that you missed them, or the excluder was damaged in that there was seperation in the metal or plastic bars large enough to allow the quen to pass through.
    Barry

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a large snip...
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

tecumseh:
    all I see is a 404 error message.

barry 42001 writes:
    or the excluder was damaged

tecumseh:
    I suspect this is the problem in 90% of the cases reported of queens passing thru an excluder. a wire excluder need to be handled fairly delicately and protrusion that will lodge between the wires is also capable of deforming the wire so a queen can pass thru.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

yep I do think under that large pile of stuff on my shop table there is one of those.

I would guess 'drop box' describes what it is suppose to do???