Entrance reducer/temps/robbing

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Aug 9, 2012.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

So I observed strange bees trying to get the hive this AM...one successfully. I thought it wise to put an entrance reducer in(with smallest opening), but am worried about high temps and reduction of air flow. We hit mid 90's yesterday but it cooled to below 50 last night and it is supposed to cooler by the weekend. I took the cork out of the second hive body rto add airflow several weeks ago, we also have a screened bottom board..watched three guard bees fend off a wannabee intruder at the cork hole this AM and they were successful. I am worried about traffic flow and overheating, but don't want robbing to occur/continue. Our bees are still bringing in pollen, nectar...very busy. So what do you think? Should I put the entrance reducer on the bigger opening? Just want to make whatever is easiest for the guard bees. Thanks Halley

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

As Walt says--put up a robber screen on a larger entrance.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I keep an entrance reducer on all year long with the largest opening. Your hive will do fine in the temps you have. We hit 107 today and have been above 100 for most of the last couple of months. I think they control the inside temp better with a smaller opening. I know a local beekeeper that has only topbar hives. He had a problem with comb collapse with screened bottom boards in the Texas heat last year. Once he closed them up, no more problems. The bees couldn't control the hive temps with a open bottom, but could once he closed it up. I have one topbar hive that is solid bottom, and the comb and bees have been happy and productive all summer long.