Entrance reducers, to be or not to be

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by wltwine, Oct 16, 2009.

1. wltwine

wltwine New Member

Hello fellow Beekeepers, I would like to know if its wise to use Entrance reducers in the fall/winter, and if so what is the average size to use. I live on the east coast right on the VA and NC boarder, our temps have been in the 50s but we will still get daytime temps in 60s to 70s but it will get cold and damp here, also when should I start feeding and what should I feed them suger, fondant, syrup any info would be great. Have a great day :wave:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Entrance reducers go on now. Mouse guards, too, if the reducer entrance is more than 3/8 in. high.

Feed when the hive has less than 50 lbs. honey.
    syrup, fondant, or pure sugar would do, but my preference would be in that order.

3. rast

rast New Member

To add to what Iddee said, I use reducers year round. More to give them a chance to ward off SHB, moths, robbing and other predators. I vary the reducer width to the strength of the hive.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I use a metal reducer (sold at Dadant) which allows a 3/8 opening about 6 inches long. The bees never seem to have a problem.

I will have an upper entrance or two with my supers, but the rest of the year, this is the only opening.

I think have a 1 inch opening the whole way across the front of the hive is way overkill.