Epi-Pen Poll

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverbee, Oct 6, 2012.

Epi-Pen Poll

1. I carry an epi-pen

19 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. I do not carry an epi-pen

39 vote(s)
    67.2%
  3. I have a bee venom allergy

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. I do not have a bee venom allergy

41 vote(s)
    70.7%
  5. I have other allergies

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. I have an autoimmune illness

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. I have kept bees 1-4 years

36 vote(s)
    62.1%
  8. I have kept bees 5-10 years

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. I have kept bees 11- 20 years

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. I have bees 21+ years

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

this poll is a 'companion' to my thread here and post #110:

riverbees crossroad

i am curious and interested about those of us who carry the epi-pens, and don't, and also how many years each of us has kept bees, and any who suffer from other allergies or from autoimmune illnesses. please participate and comment here or on my thread as you wish.

thank you! :grin:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I carry an epipen, in case others need it.

I am allergic to nothing but work.....WWWWOOOORRRRKKK!!!!!!! :eek: :shock: :shock:

About 36 years.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I had one allergic reaction after being stung in the head this past Spring. Hives all over but no breathing issues.
    I've been stung in the hands since and I was fine.
    I keep an Epi for all family members at the house since that's where the bees are. I'm researching other bee yard sites and I will carry Epi's with me too the site if I place colonies there.
    We're finishing year 2 with the bees.

4. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I don't carry an epi pen, but I have one at the house. I suppose once I have hives at remote locations I will have to start carrying it with me when I work the hives.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I don't carry one, but my wife has them for her reactions.

One thing I would remind folks of: Check the date. They do expire. And it's probably not good to let them freeze or keep them in a hot car.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

I don't carry one, but I have one available in the house close by in case I develop an allergy or someone else is stung that needs it.

7. Omie

Omie Active Member

I am not severely allergic to my bees (at this time anyway), and my doctor won't prescribe epi-pens for me to use on other people. He says instead I should call 911 since we live in the village and near emergency medical help.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

No allergy but have fainted after getting stung on top of the head. Have had bees for 30 years and haven't ever owned an epi-pen. Epi-pen's have only been out for about 25 years prier to the pen you carried a vial and needle and had to have special instructions on use. By the time epi's were available I had good idea that non in the family were allergic and that it would ever get used. as stated above if you expect you having a severe reaction call 911 and get medical attention there, don't wait to see if it will pass and to see if your feeling better.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't have an epi-pen but considering I am often alone and isolated I should probably look into it. I believe you need a prescription up here to get one.
    I don't have an allergic reaction to bee venom (at this time). Apparently the longer I keep bees (going on 14 years) the more casual I have become around them, resulting in more stings as I incorporate poorer beekeeping practices because of my laziness (no gloves, veil, suit, etc.).

10. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We keep one at the house. This poll got me thinking again that I need to keep one in the trucks.

11. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I'm like Perry. Often work alone and have never needed one BUT......ya never know if the whole hive one day decides they don't like you and "light you up" it might be a good idea just to have one on hand. Sooooo, my next question is, "Do I need a Dr.'s prescription to get one AND what do they cost? :???:

12. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Respectfully, I would find another Dr. at least in this instance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Boiler Jim, Yes, you need a prescription and the cost varies greatly, so shop around. Many ins. policies cover them, and VA covers them if you are a vet.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I found one in my truck glove box dated 2001 (from my old doctor):roll:. I ask my doctor if i should get a prescription for one, and he said as many times that i have been stung without a reaction, i would be wasting my money, but he would give me one if i wanted it, and if i start having problems we will do something. I know things can turn around, and i do think about it when i'm in the woods alone working bees and taking hits. I do keep those anti inflammatory pills in the truck. Sometimes i'm twenty to thirty miles to the nearest help.:eek: Jack

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I agree with Papakeith

Our Dr gave us a script for 2 child and 2 adult Epi's before anyone was ever stung.

16. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I have an Epi-pen I got after a trip to the emergency room- one sting to the chin caused hugely swollen lips and neck, then broke out in hives. No airway involvement but figured better take no chances. That one sting was bad because it was thru my veil and I didn't realize the stinger was still pumping 'til I took my hat off 10-15 minutes later. I still have pretty good swelling but nothing worse- I don't work my bees alone because it's too big a risk.

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't have an epi-pen, no regular doctor, no other reason to pay that hefty fee to see one, and then pay for an epi that would expire. I carry liquid benadryl.

18. Zulu

Zulu Member

As a trained first aided, Boy Scout leader and beek, I have had the training and the facts

most drs will happily give you prescription if you ask, by law it is for the use of the person it has been prescribed to, but....
    we train that you call 911 first If someone has a severe reAction, and tell them you have an epipen , and 95% of the time they will instruct you to use it.

if you only have Benadryl, keep Zantac with it and take both, it acts as a booster as it is a type II anti histamine.
    Liquid Benadryl is typically for kids, just take the whole bottle....
    I also keep the Benadryl gel tabs, which you can still force under a tongue if the patients throat swells
    lastly , you can pre load if worried, ie you can take Benadryl before working your bees.

NOTE: there are a few people who Are allergic to Benadryl and you may still need the epipen if you put them into shock

19. Marbees

Marbees Member

Have one in my truck, keep it there all the time. Before it expires I get a new one.

20. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I am licensed in Florida for epi administration. I carry the pens to bee workshops.