Essential Oil Patties

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by sqkcrk, Apr 1, 2011.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Does anyone know anything about Essential Oil Patties? Who makes them, when and how are they used? I heard a little bit about this at dinner tonight, but no details.

Anyone know anything about this product?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The best I can tell from what I have read, people put all kinds of essential oils in their home made pollen patties. I've never used them.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

They are NATURAL oils right? Are the bees comforted in knowing that all that stuff folks put into a bee hive is NATURAL?

I (obviously) know nothing about essential oil patties... I know nothing at all.

4. m.s.

m.s. New Member

I believe it's the ultra bee patties carried by mannlake. I've seen a few video ads and some commercial beekeepers that mix and sell their own too, I found them on a Youtube search. Among others, I think a user by the name rdy-b on beesource and beemasters may know more about it. sounded like he uses it or was headed that direction.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I can see buying HoneyBeeHealthy because it contains an emulsifier which does make it easier to mix in syrup. But making Crisco/sugar/honey patties with some ess oils mixed in is so darned easy i can't see why anyone would need to buy them....sort of like buying sugar syrup? Unless you are talking pollen sub patties?

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Omie writes:
    Unless you are talking pollen sub patties?

tecumseh:
    it is a good idea to check the label for things like pollen substitute patties for content. some contain quite a bit of sugar at a very fancy price.

7. snipeer5

snipeer5 New Member

Thank you very much

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

There is a beekeeper (Dave in Co.) Alpha6,on another site (don't know if he's on this one or not) that treats with essentiai oils and has several recipes that he uses. I have been using his method for 4 yrs. now and have less winter loss than years past and my bees have less health problems (mites). I credit it to the uses of the thyme oil in his recipes.I use this before and after the honey flow. It may not be, but it just seems more natural to me than some of the chemicals that are being sold. Now i'm not promoting this, but it works for me. :thumbsup: Jack

9. rast

rast New Member

Kinda brings Apiguard mite treatment to mind to me.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Rast, yes it does, but alot cheaper. :D Jack

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Do you care to share that recipe Jack? Some of us get curious from time to time :D

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jack seems to be holding his cards pretty close to his chest MamaBeek?? Of course Jack should recognize that this does disqualify him as treatmentless.

13. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Treatmentless, yes and no :p I have two hives i have done nothing to for five years,and they were setting in a woods unattended for five years before i got them. :thumbsup: I don't think i ever said i was treatment free.This is what i have been doing for the past 4yrs to my other hives..
    Liquid feed or spray
    I spray my bees (if needed) twice in the spring (2 weeks apart) and once in the fall (if needed). if i don't see a mite problem i don't spray, but use it for a feed.
    3 gal. water
    20 lbs sugar
    1.5 droppers of thyme oil
    3 droppers of lemonegrass oil
    3 proppers of spearmint oil
    3 teaspoons of soy lecithin (soak overnight in 1/4 cup of water and strain before adding other oils to it.
    Quote from Alpha6
    For spraying,i use a garden sprayer on mist and it works really well. If you have mites and hit them with this you will see a big mite kill off. Any mites in the cells that hatch and move out on the frames will also die. I am getting zero to 3 counts on doing an alcohol shake which is more accurate than a sticky board.
    Just make sure you have warm weather cause the bees do get wet and need time to lick themselves off.
    With a little math you can cut the formula down to your need, and i might add that a dropper is those eyedroppers you can get at Wall-Mart (two for $1.50 or so?) Now there it is,you can rip it apart if you want but it's been working for me, i also have his recipe for a thyme pattie for fall, if your intrested. Jack

14. Zulu

Zulu Member

I am interested in the Thyme Pattie recipe please...

15. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thank you so much for sharing Jack. I am always interested in reading about things that work for others whether or not I ever end up using them. Personally I don't see too much point in treatmentless.... to me if I lose all of my hives because I refused to treat a problem then I've missed the boat. We do try to only treat a problem that we know we have rather than administering treatments of any kind on a calendar/schedule. I too am interested in the patty recipe for curiosity's sake.

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Patties, you can put between waxpaper or spoon it on top of frames. You need a 5 gal. bucket to mix it in.
    2 cups of brewers yeast
    7lbs of sugar
    8 drops of thyme (drops, not a dropper)
    15 drops of lemongrass oil
    15 drops of spearment oil
    2 teaspoons of soy lecithin (soak over night in 1/4 cup water, then add essential oils.)

In a 5gal. bucket add the brewers yeast and sugar together, then add warm or hot water to get a thick mash potatoe consistency. I will mix my essential oils in a pint jar of water and pour it in before getting to the mash potatoe stag. Mix well, you can add more sugar or a little yeast to get the right consistencv if you have to.You can use an electric drill equipped with a mudd paddle (but you can burn your drill up if you get mixture to thick) it takes longer, but i just stir with a flat board. Like said above, you can spoon it on or make patties. this is for fall or winter use. Like i said, this is what i've been doing the last 4 yrs and so far it's worked for me. Jack

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

On the spray and feed, if i see a need to spray (mites) on a warm day (70F or above) i will pull each frame and mist both sides, brood and bees, you can use a squeeze bottle sprayer or a garden sprayer. I am doing this now, our honey flow doesn't start here (usually) till the last week in may. Mama Beek i operate like you, i don't use nothing in my hives unless i see a need for something to be done. I'm not going to let my girls die if i can help it. Jack

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I didn't mean to put you on the spot Jack.

Although as a philosophy I don't treat* for mites I employ the same attitude as yourself and mamabeek (I think??). if I see a hive that has a head ache I will administer an aspirin.. I likely gain little by giving the same hive a shot of morphine. imho dosing a hive in a restricted use pesticide may get you something in the short run but definitely cost you even more down the road. my wife call this 'the approximate' vs 'the ultimate' outcomes.

In response to #17 I have had one pretty good beekeeper who tells me that spraying with a mist bottle, syrup and hbh (type product) highly encourages mutual grooming by the bees and that they have worked a spray bottle into their inspection routine. he seems to think it helps.

*for folks like myself with a good deal of science and statistic in our educational background even the word treatment can be a bit of a problem. in any experiment the word treatment basically translates into any variable that you wish to consider. therefore a screen bottom board or feeding or spraying with a mist bottle or inspecting or not inspecting become 'a treatment'.

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have read hundreds of post on treatment free,chemical free,live or let die, and so on, but it is all someones way of beekeeping and their thoughts on how it should be done. If you have a system that works for you and your having fun or making a profit which ever is your goal, then you have self satisfaction. When our bee club has their outing at my farm to let new members have hands on in working bees and asking questions, it gives you a good feeling that they think you know something and are willing to help them. :thumbsup: There is always something to learn,that's what i like about this fourm, several of you know about harnful chemicals and there effects on bees and humankind. I don't like to use chemicals, but if they have been proven safe to use, then i will use them to save a hive and to me that's just part of beekeeping. So far i haven't met a beekeeper i didn't like,but will admit there are some that's way out there. :lol: Jack

20. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

On the pattie recipe, i use dry yeast i get from, i think Mann Lake or one of the bee supply co. Alpha6, a commercial beekeeper (these are his recipes) gets his brewers yeast from a brewery (free, it's what they throw away) liquid form. So if you have access to the liqued form,you can skip the water in the above recipe. Jack