Establishing a hive

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by RoyHende, Mar 10, 2011.

1. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

Would like to establish a hive by attracting a swarm to a new brooder box. As I reside in the backwoods of the Cumberland Plateau, Jackson County, the swarming of Africanized bees seems to be minimal. During the periods of brief dry warm weather there have been a number of bees out and about...particulalry attracted to the smoke from my cigar. Anyone familiar with the best means/method, etc., for attracting a swarm to a new brooder? For example, does it make sense to "feed" near the brooder, i.e., leaving fruits nearby. The use of Bee Charm, as an attractant...is it effective, or is it similar to carrying a rabbit's foot. Timing...?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A suitable box with some drawn comb would be a good start. Maybe have it off the ground somewhat, I believe 10' is optimum. Place a couple drops of lemon grass oil (?) on the comb near the entrance is another idea I have heard about here as well.
    That, and read all you can here :mrgreen:
    Good luck!

3. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Good luck, however.

I hate to be the one to say it, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

A pet peeve of mine in most beginner bee books is; " You don't even have to buy, just "trap" a swarm.

Also on inter-net forums it seems most everyone has "trapped" oodles and gobs of them ????

Are there lots hives in your area from which swarms are produced, are you on a swarm catchers list, etc ?

True some do "trap" a swarm, but they just don't fall out of the sky.

I know get to the back of the bus !

Murrell

4. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

Murrell...thanks, that was very helpful

5. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

Perry Bee...thanks for the ideas. It isn't the fact that I think bees are freebies of nature, but I like to think of the possibilities...best to you!

Roy

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Most swarms I have "trapped" moved into unused equip. When I set out traps purposely, they don't use them.

Others who claim success say they use
    1. Old comb
    2. Lemongrass oil
    3. Queen juice made with dead queens in alcohol
    4. Commercial lures
    I wish you luck, but think a call to all your local pest controls companies would yield much better results. You may need more than one set-up, tho.

7. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

Iddee...thanks, bits and pieces...suggestions...I need all that come to you! LOL

Roy

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If you are seeing honeybees in your area and think they may be feral (not from someone else' hives) you could do something called "beelining". Search on the web under that heading.
    Basically you set out a small amount of syrup in an area where you see bees. Watch as they "tank up" and then take note of the direction they head off in (once a bee is full they head straight back home). Do this in at least three different spots in the area, and then triangulate the three "lines". Look for the colony in the area the three lines intersect. Apparently it can work, but it seems like an awful lot of effort.
    I think perhaps Iddee and Murrell are correct in that putting yourself on a swarm list or contacting a pest control company would probably yield good results.

9. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

PerryBee...I trhink the bees hanging about are feral...I live in heavy timberland and my area is also populated with honeysuckle, sourwood and small orchards...although the flow has a few more weeks before coming forth. My eyesight being poor, I'll try your recommendation ass to providing a bit of syrup and observe them as they depart. Presuming that when "tanked up" they fly slower and straighter...so I can observe..and triangulate. Thanks a bunch!

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sprinkle them with powdered sugar or flour. White bees are easier to see.

11. RoyHende

RoyHende New Member

Iddee...now that sounds like sending a boot sailor for a bucket of steam or standing the mail buoy watch...maybe a touch on the "snipe" hunting side, but "rube" that I am...flour/powder sugar it is...

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Actually, that's a good idea Iddee!

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, Roy, no prop wash there. It actually works.

14. rast

rast New Member

Yes it does mate. I prefer flour.

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

yes it works very well, I am going to try using orange colored chalk like you put in a carpenters chalk box this year.

Something else for the beeliner is to print off a map of the area that you are setting up your syrup lures in and you can find more likely habitat for the hive......woods, small stand of trees, old buildings, neighbors hives, etc.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member