ethics on catching swarms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blue hills bee company, Jun 12, 2018.

when is a swarm no longer the beekeepers property

1. as soon as it leaves the hive

50.0%
  2. 1/4 mile or more

50.0%
  3. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blue hills bee company

blue hills bee company New Member

Heres a question. Ive been beekeeping since i was in the third grade. im 51 now. now i try to be aware of all the beekeepers in the area. and love to contact them and set up a good re pore with everyone.. I always introduce myself and my intentions. . i ask fellow beekeepers and the land owners if they mind if i place swarm traps near their hives. Usually start at 200 feet away) to catch swarms. if they would say no i would move to the next closest property owner and ask them.. but I have never had a fellow beekeeper say no. what brings my question to bare was this situation. ( I ran into a fellow beekeeper and asked him if he would mind if i placed swarm traps around his bee yards.. he said he didnt care. and i asked him where his yards were. and he told me. . now his yards are hidden well and not visible from any road.. so the only way i could know their whereabouts is if i was told.. so i went up to the yards talked to the land owners for permission and access routs to follow and placed some traps out. well today i went to check the traps and ran into the beekeepers dad. needless to say he wasnt a happy camper. . called me a bottom feeder. and did not believe his son told me he didnt care and where the yards were. . he was so mad he jumped in his truck and left. he left the hive top off and his lit smoker there. so with rain in the forecast. i closed his hive and grabbed his smoker. and drove to their place to return it. and to talk to the son and dad to settle any confusion. . well they were not there but the lady was and i tried to explain everything . well obviously it wasnt going well cuz according to the lady the son told his dad he didnt say what he had said to me,. Thanks for the back up. I guess my Question is. at what point is a swarm fair game.. 50 feet. 100 feet 1/4 mile half mile what. I have always been taught that once a swarm leaves the hive it is its own owner and fair game. what are your thoughts. he feels like I am stealing from him. But its a swarm that left already. and i have obtained the landowners permission as well.. besides every swarm i save has a chance. with verroa mite management. in the wild they would be overrun and die..

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

if the swarm is off their property and you have permission to set up a swarm box , its your bees when they go to your box, the bee keeper had the chance to do the same but did not, so end of story, for legal purposes I would draw up a permission slip for each property you put a swarm box on and have the land owner sign it, just incase the beekeeper wants to take any action you are covered, since bees dont have serial numbers there is no proof the bees you caught were the bee keepers from the closest yard..

Gypsi likes this.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would not let you set up a swarm trap next to my apiary. I keep several set up at all times and offer free swarm pickup to all neighbors within a mile or so. So I would say 1 mile territory from my apiary, I don't want swarm traps belonging to others.

I would definitely get a signed permission slip. The son was a fool. I guess that makes him the bottom feeder.

4. blue hills bee company

blue hills bee company New Member

i do the same as well i place traps near my apiaries . cant catch them all. some just dont like the traps or didnt find them. i give swarms away to people that want to get started in beekeeping. they are no cost to me and people usually decide to get into beekeeping too late to buy them. and i respect your view. most beekeepers i have ran into i have always asked if they were open to the idea of placing traps around their area. it never hurts to ask. but if you said no i would respect that and move on. a lot of beekeepers dont care to bother with swarms. either they dont have time or dont care. ive lost many swarms from my yards its inevitable . if someone else gets them im glad. if they wanna hang traps im ok with it. i believe once a swarm leaves its fair game. once they swarm they are no longer mine.. my poor swarm management or trapping skills. . or lack of time. either way. good luck and best wishes and have fun beekeeping. i guess i dont see myself as a selfish person. if they swarm they were mine but not anymore. good luck trappers. lol