Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was reaching down to hang a caged queen into a 48 hr old 5 frame nuc the other night, my hand and the cage became covered with bees when it was about an inch above the frames. I took that as a good sign.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Sounds like they were ready for a queen................either to accept or kill................a day or so will tell the story.

Are you making a split?

G3

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you just move way too sloooooooow!
Depends on whether its a bee or a rattlesnake :D

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cage was empty today and the bees were docile. I either have me a halfbreed queen or a dead one. Will give her a week and check.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checked yesterday and had a nice pattern of larva in the two frames I pulled. Put it right back together. Before I went into it, I sat and watched them drag a couple of drones out and kill them.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
rast writes:
Before I went into it, I sat and watched them drag a couple of drones out and kill them.

tecumseh:
what is that about rast? It seems a bit early for the girls to be tossing the guys out into the street?

sounds like your queen installation went well.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
End of summer dearth. Nothing coming in except what I am now feeding them. Fl. is known for micro climates. I am on what is called the "ridge". Unfortunantly for me, a bad area to keep bees. But I do.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I have been through FLA and never did see a "ridge", only humps I saw were those big ol' humped up bridges!! :lol: :p

G3

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tecumseh lived in Plant City in his younger days is why I used that as a location.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
rast writes:
Tecumseh lived in Plant City

tecumseh:
right in the middle of a strawberry patch.

g3 writes:
I have been through FLA and never did see a "ridge"

tecumseh:
if I still recall my florida geograpy the ridge runs from north florida down to around orlando and is an ancient coral reef that is the backbone of florida.

iddee writes:
But that was over a hundred years ago. I doubt he remembers any of it that long ago.....

tecumseh:
ha. a lot of times I can't recall where I was yesterday... and sometimes that's a good thing.

best to ya' all...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts