Expelling drones

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mshag, May 13, 2018.

1. Mshag

Mshag New Member

Not that I think the behavior is a problem, it just doesn't seem right that this early into the year my nuc hive is pushing the drones out, probably 30 plus dead drones on the ground and more being drugged out by the min, most fly away then circle back to try to get back in. I should mention I currently live in hawaii, while not new to bee keeping this is my first hive in the subtropical weather. Not sure if that makes a difference with the behavior

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That means there is not enough flow, anytime there is a food shortage they kick the drones out. You will have to feed. Flow is definitely local.

3. Mshag

Mshag New Member

I opened it up for inspection, they have just about wiped out there honey storage, pollen seems good, I'll start them on some sugar syrup hopefully a natural flow will come in soon, hard to tell here since there is flowers blooming year round you wouldn't think nectar would ever be short

4. Gypsi

flowers - takes a whole lot more than a yard full of flowers to support a hive. Look at the land around you, look for wildflowers, trees in bloom, etc. Every area has different flow periods and rainfall that doesn't show up creates drought and a dearth of nectar.

5. Mshag

Mshag New Member

Yes no doubt I have homework to do, I'm in an urban environment my bees would have to travel more than a few miles to find pastures or wild flowers, but there is a large number of fruit trees,palms and large flowering trees throughout the city. I think I just need to figure out a way to change my work schedule so i can attend local beek club meetings. But for now I'll continue to feed till they build up more, I may just be over thinking this and my hive may just need more foragers to self support.

6. Gypsi

You definitely need to attend local meetings and learn flow crops and periods for your area. Definitely keep feeding until they build up, and become aware of what is growing around you. Ragweed may not look like food to you, but your bees like it. The pollen report on your local news is also quite handy