Experience with King Electric Extractor?????

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Bees In Miami, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Tried this on another forum....Any input is appreciated!!!

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 85%"]I tried to search with no success....Does anybody have any experience with the King electric extractor? I've read a bunch of threads on manual vs electric, etc, and in no way am I ready to pull the plug for a Maxant. I've read the manual spinners are a workout ([​IMG]), which I really don't want. I also don't want to throw good money after bad if this spinner isn't decent. I also am not far enough into this to go broke paying for the best. Any feedback is appreciated!!! Thanks!

http://www.kinghoney.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H-4000E

Edited to add....Or any other affordable motorized extractors you are using out there that you absolutely love/hate? Thanks!
    [​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: smalltext, width: 85%"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well 1st off the smaller extractors are not much of a work out, I use a 3/6 frame 1 and it spins loaded with very little effort at all, the only reason Im upgrading is because I went from 6 to 38 hives in a year and most of them are already double brood boxes so I think (I hope) I end up with a hole lot of honey frames, you have if I remember right 6 hives and if you plan on growing a little you should look into 1 that holds a few more frames, mann lakes has a 4/8 motorized for just a little more then that king.

3. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

It look good and has some good features. But, like you, I would hate to cheap down and buy something that had to be replaced. I'm less than two years into beekeeping and have never heard of King before. Also, there is the problem that if you need a part or some warranty service. I hope someone comes aboard that has used one of these.

Zookeep says the manual spinners aren't much of a workout for a few hives. I have read this more that once. I'm interested as I intend to purchase an extractor later in the summer.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I, too, have never heard of King. I don't know if that is in anyway connected to the King brand of power tools available up here that are considered entry level or worse (at best)!
    About the only piece of advice I would offer (not talking manufacturer here, that's another story) is if you are at around 6 to 10 hives, and are even THINKING about going upwards of that (however remote) buy something motorized or something that can be easily motorized.
    The fun and quaintness of extracting can be quickly muted by the constant cranking, etc. of it all.

5. Hawkster

Hawkster New Member

i would opt for a US manufactured extractor from Maxxant, a little bit more but the quality is excellent. I haven't had a lot of luck with chinese manufactured tools

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like they say, you get what you pay for,:roll:The investment may be high for a name brand extractor, but the reduced labor and worry free quality of the product means alot to me.:thumbsup: Also if you ever want to get out of beekeeping you won't loose much if any when you sell it.JMHO. Jack

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I live in BC and they ship out of Vancouver and across the border in sumas WA. and I have never heard of them until your post. I'll be at a bee meeting on Monday night and ask if any anyone has or have heard of them? It is driven by an gear drive motor that looks to be sliding rheostat. Could be hard to find parts for if it ever broke.

8. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

One of the primary differences between "cheap" extractors and quality extractors is the gauge (thickness) of stainless steel used. Maxant extractors, for example, use 20 gauge, while many of the cheap imports use a very thin 26 gauge, which is not only easily dented, it may fail to hold shape while extracting, causing unbalanced loads and lots of wobble.

I couldn't find anything on the King website indicating what gauge stainless was used. I'd certainly want to know before making any decision.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

For just a few my bee club has a 4/8 extractor available to members (number 2 reason to join your local bee club), and I intend to borrow it. This year I had so little I did crush and strain for my one quart of honey. (stolen from the hot bees)

Gypsi

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I was at the bee meeting last night and a lady in the club has one and she loves it. The only miner thing that annoys her is the bolt / wing nut on the honey gate is in the flow of honey when the gate is open. The club is hosting the provincial meeting of the BCHPA next fall so the convention committee is meeting in between club meetings and the next one will be at her house the first week in February so I can have a look for myself and report back.

11. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Thank you everybody for your input! I am indeed still shopping, and appreciate all the input. ApisBees, thanks for remembering to ask. I look forward to hearing what you think after seeing it in person. Thanks again everybody!

12. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I was at a committy meeting at her house on Tuesday night and had a look at the extractor the cage is 3/16 Dia SS rod all welded. The stainless extractor tub is not a real flimsy stainless the motor assembly and casting looks to be strong enough to with stand and last the forward reverse works on a reversible pole rheostat. The speed control handle is solid enough to take being bumped and not breaking. One side the plexi lid is hinged and the other side it slips under the motor but is removable for cleaning. With the motor being reversible if extracting shallow frames the frames can be turned by twisting 180 deg. as apposed to pulling the frame out or the extractor and flipping the frame from one end to the other as well as twisting the frame. So the top bar follows the bottom bar while spinning. she had some things stacked over the top and I didn't have a tape to measure the cage size to see if there is enough room to twist a deep frame in the cage, or if their is room and support to place 2 mediums in each basket? I don't think that there is enough room.