External feeder

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by stugger57, Sep 4, 2013.

1. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Is it advisable to put an external sugar water feeder near the hive? Does this encourage robber bees? Should all feeders be placed inside the hive?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No. YES. Either inside or 200 feet away.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

stugger57, like iddee said, i would discourage you from using any external sugar water feeder near the hive. it does encourage robbing and all sorts of other problems from other stinging insects, (yellow jackets are extremely aggressive), not to mention critters, for example, using a boardman off the front of the hive, don't. (i use boardmans for water only on nucs or new hives). place the feeder, whatever you choose, either inside, or on top the inner cover, and place an extra box over. :grin:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I dont like to open feed syrup. I dont like the thought of feeding the neighbors bees.:grin:

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I'm with Riverrat on this one. A bee keeper a couple of miles from you may well be harvesting the fall flows an open feeding would contaminate their honey.

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I certainly don't have the experience or knowledge that any of the others who replied to your question possess but I have been using the boardman feeders when i feed for 4 years now without any problems that I can tell. That doesn't mean I haven't had problems and just don't know any better but I've never seen any robbing going on. My biggest problem with that type feeding is it attracts ants but I have been able to manage them as well. But my setup is different than most beekeepers. My 7 hives are each separated by between 75 and 100 feet. I know in bee distance that is nothing but I've never had an issue with the open feeding at the hive that I'm aware of. When I'm feeding I reduce the entrance and only feed the hives that are having trouble making it on their own, such as a late season swarm etc. YMMV and mine has from any of the others it appears but I have had good luck feeding at the hive entrance with the boardman feeders. It is also much easier to see how they are taking the feed and I can simply walk up and swap quart jars without ever disturbing the bees.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

7. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Thank you all for the excellent reply and information. Quick response and advice helps more than you know.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wayne, when you see a known weak hive looking like this, you will change your mind.

[​IMG]

9. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I don't see a boardman feeder involved here. But you're right, if I see this while using a boardman feeder, I might think the feeder is the cause but it doesn't look like one caused this episode of robbing. And that's exactly why I say my use of a boardman feeder in my situation hasn't caused a problem, yet.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well actually Wayne you and Iddee are speaking of two different things/ideas/concepts. the question as I understand it is in reference to open feeding or what I often call 'pot feeding' (ie you are feeding syrup in a open tub or pot... we use to this quite commonly with 55 gallon drums with removable lids to feed 60+ hives in one yard at one time) and you are talking about a boardman style feeder device which is suppose to deliver the feed inside the hive and your remedy for limiting robbing in these by employing entrance reducers. my problem with boardman style feeders is exactly as you expressed.... which is they invariable seem to attract ants and ants are no small problem here in Texas <and believe you me the dryer it gets the worst problem you will see here with ants.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There was a boardman there. It was removed before the pic was taken.

12. stugger57

stugger57 New Member

Yes, referring to open feeding and did find that the ants loved it and the bees were not too interested. Seems they had other plans. I may try again with a boardman later in the year as I only have one hive for starters.

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Wouldn't open feeding, where bees from many hives commingle, aid in the spread of diseases and pests? I don't think I want my girls associating with the locals. :)

14. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Lazy shooter, I wondered about that too when I contemplated dumping the feed all in an old bath tub with a float of pine needles! I really think I have no ferals around but dont know what the shared disease is with the hornets, wasps and bumblebees.

I have eight hives that you could touch all with a fishing rod from the\ middle of the group. I quit putting any scent in the syrup because one hives business is instantly every other ones too. Havent had a lot of bees killed over robbing but it sure has destroyed the tranquility a few times!