Extra queen, what to do?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Jul 26, 2011.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

As I posted earlier, I had a hive that was queenless. Just took delivery of 2 queens today. I ordered an extra just in case a death occurred during shipping.

I have a total of four hives, seem to be doing well, 'cept the one. Now that I have an extra queen, I've considered removing some frames from a couple hives to build up a 5 frame nuke.
    ?1- Is it too late in the NE, to do a split? I'm North of Syracuse about 40 miles.
    ?2- Can I mix frames rather than take five from one hive?
    ?3- Can I remove the cork and just introduce the new queen to the queenless hive, allowing the bees to eat the candy and release her, or should I give them time to get aquainted.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

1. can't answer, you are too far north of me.
    2. yes, might give them a spritz of sugar water with a drop or two of vanilla in it to over ride the pheromones.
    3. remove the cork on the candy end, this is the "timed" release mechanism. It will take 1 to 3 days for them to eat the candy out and release the queen, all the while they can feed her and spread her pheromones through the screen.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Are the three strong hives single or double brood boxes?

If doubles, I would try to build up to a full single deep. I would think we are still early enough and can still hope for a good flow from aster and goldenrod. You are likely only two weeks ahead of me, I would give them room now and condense later if needed.

I wouldn't do a split this time of year (could be wrong on this though).

Mixing frames of new/nurse bees isn't supposed to be a problem. Take one brood, one pollen/honey from each of your three, plus a couple of empty frames.

If worried, leave the corks in for a couple days, then give them access to the candy, which will take a couple more days.

NOTE: Newbee (new-ish anyway!) advice so please, take it with a grain of salt...

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

4. melrose

melrose New Member

OK, dang.... this is frustrating.
    Just came from the yard. Opened up the queenless hive to see if they've started making queen cells with the larvae that I gave them on Sat. Remember from another post that I had 16 med frames of empty brood cells.
    When we showed up today the bees were everywhere, not the usual thing for these guys lately.
    We opened up to see what I had done wrong. The only thing that I thought was the bees from the other hive was invading.
    Upon frame inspection we spotted a QUEEN walking around. WTH??
    I just knew that I had missed her when I tranferred a frame over.
    We closed up, and went to the hive that I took the frame out of. Not hearing the queenless buzzing had me confused. We opened up, inspected the top box that was full of nector and honey.... and found tiny larvae, disregarded that since it had been only three days since I made the swap.
    On frame three lo and behold a HUGE queen.

So, I guess the cut out hive made a new queen, she was hiding or out mating when I inspected on Sat. We did the cut out on July 5, 21 days ago, so she would have hatch very recently if given a couple of days for the bees to figure out that they were queenless.

We went ahead and took a couple frames for a 5 nuke to use one queen, now I'm hustling to make use of the other queen.

If anyone has knowledge of an apiarist in my area, Syracuse NY, that might hand down some frames of stock for us to use the other queen, please contact me.

Thanks for all the insight through this matter

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I suggest a new topic asking locals for some hardware to house that queen , not everyone will read this

I have learned from my own issues , to always have extra kit around......just bought 50 extra med frames today

Good luck, i hope you find a home for that queen.... :beg:

6. melrose

melrose New Member

Thanks, I did find a local that I'm donating the left over queen to. I've installed one in a nuke with frames that I pulled from the other hives.
    I just need to make more contacts in the area.

thanks again

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would build a 5 frame nuc and feed them up add a 2nd 5 frame box on the top and let them build and over winter in that come spring I would split the nuc into 2 when it takes off