Extracting honey without an extractor. How does everybody do it

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CROWEmtnFARMS, Jul 18, 2014.

1. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Lets hear. It. I put mine in oven on 200' till its all liquid. When it cools down the wax seperates and goes to the top. When the wax is solid you cut a corner out and pour out honey.

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Borrow the extractor fom the local bee club, or mash the comb up and run eveything through a collander or cheesecloth. heating over 140 volatizes alll the stuff that makes it honey and can scorch the sugar

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

I never use cheesecloth to strain. You will find tiny fibers in your honey. Use fine mesh metal strainers. Heating over 95 degrees degrades it's quality and destroys it's beneficial enzymes. You also lose some that heavenly aroma. Without an extractor, crush and strain is your best bet. If you can borrow an extractor, do so. I personally feel like drawn comb in priceless. My first year I found one to borrow on Craigslist. Please use caution when contacting people on Craigslist. Many bee clubs have extractors you can borrow too.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You could also use a big spoon ans scoop the honey and combs down to the wax or plastic midrib and strain this and give the frames back to the bees to redraw out the cells as gary said 200 is to hot and damages the honey. the wax melts at just under 150 deg but even this is to hot for the time it takes to melt the wax.

5. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

Might try the spoon. I camt find anybody with a slinger

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Well I understand the expense of a small extractor and my mind its worth it so that the bees do not have a work hard I don't know if in the process of melting it you destroy the foundation but the foundation is the most resorce expensive thing the colony does. The drawing out of a walls is actually rather inexpensive but the foundation has the thickest wax of all. I gotta two frame extractor for $200 off of amazon.com just a thought

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

cut the caps off 1 side and set over a deep baking pan in a hot room, let gravity do the work if its only a few frames.