Extraction techniques for foundationless

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Aug 22, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Folks out there using foundationless, are you using an extractor? How do you keep from destroying the comb? I thought about shoving a rod sort of like a coat hanger through the wire hols to brace it. I figured the bees would fix any damage. Thoughts?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

I have extracted foundationless and still have a few that I run through the extractor. Just start slow, let it run for a while before you speed it up, then SLOWLY speed up the extractor. this will minimize blowouts. Because it's such a pain to extract I've moved to plastic foundation.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hand crank extractor no problem especially with medium frames. My bee club's 2 frame does a great job. I use 20 lb test fishing line in my deep wedge frames but occasionally it gets cut by the bees. With mediums i need no fishing line to be able to extract.

I put the fishing line in 3 horizontal, then a big x, tied off, before giving the bees the empty frame

4. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

I have followed a suggestion from an experienced beek who says she uses 50 test fishing line through the holes instead of wire. You can cut it, and pull it out with no problem if you decide to do cut comb. I have not yet extracted from one yet but I think it will help. I know that doesn't help you much now, but in the future maybe give it a try.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm extracting with 20 lb, so 50 would definitely work. I may upgrade next time I have to buy fishing line. I refuse to buy foundation, don't have time to put it in. If I need frames with foundation I buy wax coated plasticell

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you are using a tangible extractor. Sacrifice a wire queen excluder and cut it in 1/2 and wire each half in the extractor so it will support the side of the comb when the frame is being extracted. Like what is in this old wooden barrel extractor.
    [video]https://youtu.be/WHFcbY67YxU[/video]