Extractor Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by UrbanGreenBee, Feb 27, 2012.

1. UrbanGreenBee

UrbanGreenBee New Member

I am in the market for an extractor. I have a 2 frame hand crank right now, and it is a bear to use. Any recommendations on a good power extractor? I only have 9 hives right now. Any feedback would be really appreciated!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maxant for the best "American made" quality.
    Brushy Mountain is very popular.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have the 9 frame Brushy Mountain extractor, it is well built and works nicely. Just make sure you have something to mount it to so that it does not walk on ya! Across the floor that is.... :thumbsup:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Maxant or Dadant! :thumbsup: Great quality. (I don't know much about Brushy Mountain extractor or quality).
    Get one bigger than you think you'll need too ;) , it's better than spending the bucks and then discovering it's too small.
    Maxant 10/20 is a good size (holds 10 deep or 20 medium frames), I have a Dadant 20 framer (holds 20 deeps or 32 mediums) and a Maxant 2 frame, both are good machines.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Great thread, thanks for starting this. I was wanting to post a similar thread. Remember last year when I just was going to have a hive or 3 lol? That number will be doubling this season. Hoping on 2 splits and a feral hive. So power extractor or hand crank? I wonder if I could rig one up to the stationary bike...lol

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

With more than 5 hives, and a good harvest?

POWER

Cranking gets old real quick! ;)

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Eddy snip..
    So power extractor or hand crank? I wonder if I could rig one up to the stationary bike...

tecumseh:
    with just a bit of rigging almost any hand cranked extractor can be power up. I have one that uses an off the shelf low speed gear motor and another that is powered by a variable speed drill motor (very old, kind of heavy old jewel that I bought at a flea market for $5). one has a small tangential reel and this requires less rpm and the other is a bit larger radial which requires a bit more rpm. with some number of boxes to extract the larger advantage of power extractor is you can uncap the next load while one load is spinning.

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Go with Dadant/Maxant. Quality that lasts.

9. CharlieB

CharlieB New Member

I've used both, get a Maxant 3100p. You'll love it! :yahoo:

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I checked out the Maxant 3100p. I like that it is the heavier 20 gauge stainless.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think a clue to what it is you are looking for can be found in your original post UrbanGreenBee:

"I only have 9 hives right now".

IMHO, if you are having any thoughts about growing from 9 hives I would seriously consider looking for a radial extractor. Like tecumseh says, while your first load of frames are extracting (under power) you can be busy uncapping frames for the next load. With tangential extracting you have to stop half-way through and flip frames or swing baskets at least once, sometimes twice, to avoid blowouts.

12. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I hear if you buy one of those $1000 Maxant hats, they throw in an extractor for free! :rolling:

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Geez, don't I wish the hat was only $1,000! :shock:
    If you can find what you are looking for used, you can buy a lot of hats with the difference! :lol:

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

them are dang good hats and well worth the price :shock: