Extreme cold this coming week

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jan 3, 2014.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

This coming week temps might get to 0. Maybe. What can I do for my hives to protest them? I have a wind break setup already. I don't know if either hive is still alive, but I'd at least like to try to protect them. Any ideas?

Jason

2. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I'm with ya rw. supposed to hit 0 here also. Very unusual for our area and I'm a little worried also. Then I think about all the bees the survive
    up north.

Entrance reducers on entrances and closed of my screens on bottom boards. I've seen videos of folks wrapping hives in black tar paper.

Don't know what else to do but hope and wait.

3. Ray

Ray Member

Be careful you could kill them with kindness.
    Moisture condensing over the cluster and then dripping on them, is more dangerous than the cold.
    The hive cover needs to be better insulated than the sides and there needs to be a way for the moist air to vent.

Put your ear to the hive and then knock on the side, usually the bees will buzz back.

4. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

My inner covers have the upper entrance holes in them.

I've seen some videos where folks put a small spacer to raise the outer telescoping cover a bit. Wonder if I should do that. It's only cold for the next 2 nights then warming back up.

Think a couple of days is enough time to build up condensation and start dripping?

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I would leave them bee any knocking and banging will cause the bees stress and could also effect their wintering ability

6. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Supposed to be down to 5 here. Very cold indeed.

This has me wondering. Does the severity of the winter have as much to do with them having enough stores, as the length of the winter. It seems to me like the length of the winter would be more of a factor than the severity, but I don't know. Thoughts?

7. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

4 degrees here.

8. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Next time I join a forum, I'm going to use the name "threadkilla"

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Whatever you do, don't open the hive and then quickly close it--you don't want to break the propolis seals the bees have made for the winter. Anything that will allow winds to penetrate will have a negative impact.

10. Ray

Ray Member

The ball of bees (I can't think of the right term) expand and contract with the temperature. It is possible for the bee to use up most of the honey under them and then have a cold snap that contracts the ball of bees, away from their stores. The result starvation.
    My advice don't worry about it. Wait till the weather warms up and check them then.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Texas model Feed fondant every warm day, insulate top and north side of hives, cross fingers.

12. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

I had probably a hundred or more dead bees on the ground in front of the hive today. Isn't it to cold for mites? Could it be that the extreme cold temps killed a few of them?

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Yeah----probably those that were unlucky enough to be on the bees that died. :mrgreen:

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

I was lucky enough that my two hives endured the 3 days of lows of 10 degrees and not above freezing of only 31f I was not sure of one until it got up to 66 yesterday and saw them flying around. Heard there will be another big freeze coming our way by the end of this week. Oh well it is winter.

Ken

15. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Can't believe it but all of our hives survived. They actually look good and strong. Hives still very heavy.

One hive looked like it was summer when we removed the top. All the top bars were covered in bees.

Man, getting itchy.:grin:

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Just make sure they have ample stores to last them till the flowers open. A hive that is "too strong" in the winter can be a candidate for starvation in the early spring. It's happened to me.:cry: