Ez-Nuc Boxes and my Hive's Report

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Jun 29, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well as of 2 weeks ago Hive #1 that Wintered over was going strong as well as the new Packages in Hive#2 and #4

Hive's 1 and 2 have had Supers on for almost a Month already

Hive #3 that I tried to save with a Frame of Eggs and Brood from a strong hive has seemed to dwindled down to almost nothing and has Drone Comb that is Spotty.

Thus my 3 new "Toys"... Ez_Nuc Boxes! If I catch a swarm or If I make a split from one of my strong hives.

[​IMG]

2. Mosti

Mosti New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I use these quite a lot. When I tried to put the first one together a couple of years back I though I had bought myself into a terrible mess. After figuring out the one or two small problems and developing a plan to overcome these they now go together quite quickly. After several years of using them 1) I prefer to use them as a 4 frame nuc and 2) they are just a smidge too narrow for 4 frames and a feeder.

ps... you do need to place weight on the top since it will blow open and securing them in the back of a truck empty is a concern since they are so light they will easily blow out.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I use them a lot and Kevin brings up nucs each spring in them. They are very useful. Highly recommended.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't know the name of these, they're just waxed cardboard 4 frame nuc boxes. They cost about $5 and I may start using them more so I don't have to wait for my wooden ones to come back.
    Pretty slick really. I made a couple of cheap mods to it, gluing in some #8 mesh for extra ventilation.

Sorry, tried to post pics but forum isn't allowing it. :sad:

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What seems to be the problem?

Attached Files:

7. Dunkel

Dunkel New Member

Used up his yearly picture quota on pie pics. New quota starts July 1 your in luck.:lol:

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Them are some funny looking nuc boxes Perry!

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the ez nuc boxes are not the same as the older waxed boxes.... they go together with out any kind of staples or glue and the material is corregated plastic signage board which has good insulation value, good ventilation, one piece construction (bottom and top) and they weather exceptionally well. I have some now that I have used for three season, sold three sets of nucs from these, had customers return them and will likely make it thru one more season.

10. camero7

camero7 Member

The only downside I've found is that the holes in the boards accumulate water, so when you shake the excess bees into a hive the water also shakes out.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Still can't post pics! :sad:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

cardboard nucs 005.jpg cardboard nucs 004.jpg cardboard nucs 006.jpg cardboard nucs 008.jpg cardboard nucs 009.jpg cardboard nucs 002.jpg cardboard nucs 003.jpg

:yahoo: :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup: :Dancing:

I can post pics again! Just when you all thought you were safe.

Look out forum! :mrgreen:

13. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

The EZ Nuc is what my nuc that I bought from B. Weaver came in. I used it for a swarm I caught and now it contains a small colony I got out of a water meter box two weeks ago. I am planning on buying some more of these and I found a video on how to fold them.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Beeacuda Danny Weaver is who introduced me to these.... and I took some of these to my shop (flat) and did evolve a method of making them go together a bit easier. the largest important details is 1) you do need to bend every seam in the box prior to trying to get it to go together 2) a thin piece of metal to fully bend the full breaks for the lid is the only difficult to make bend in the box and 3) when you get to folding the box together do the top first and this keeps the remaining part of the box more stable 4) once fully put together you do need to place the box on a hard surface and push down firmly on the surface that acts as the frame rest.