Fake Chinese Honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 23, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

It's getting bad when the Chinese complain about fake honey.Sun Deguan,director of the bee industry(in China) says vendors use cheap prices to lure consumers, claiming it's directly from the producers, but almost always fake honey made from syrup and gum. The cost of fake honey is only a tenth of the price of real honey.Fake honey accounts for nearly half of their market volume and it's hard for the consumers to tell the differents between fake and real honey.New technologies for manufacturing fake honey products have emerged and traditional testing cannot always detect fake honey. Fake honeycomb made from gum and fake honey can pass test such as those for flavonold plant compounds and the oxidation index. So with it so hard to detect real honey from fake honey, how do we know they are not exporting it to the U.S.A. Jack
    PS. They say national standards issued in 2011 lag behind the market and while new standards are discussed , nothing definite has been decided.

2. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Wow. This little tidbit sure validates my decision last year to produce my own honey, and in a much broader perspective, my adoption of a self-sufficient lifestyle.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Current testing in the US tests for sugar syrup and corn syrup contamination, but does not detect rice syrup content. For that reason much of Chinese fake honey uses rice syrup if intended for illegal laundering into the US. It's all suspect. U.S. consumers should be urged to buy local honey from local beekeepers. I've read that the largest share of imported honey goes into commercial processed and baked goods and 'real honey flavored' cereals, etc.

4. Ray

Ray Member

I can see it now:
    P.T. Barnums
    ALL NATURAL
    CHINESE HONEY

Contains; bee gathered sugar substances.

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

"and in a much broader perspective, my adoption of a self-sufficient lifestyle"

Litefoot,

You have nailed it. I am with you on this. Been working towards this for 3 years now. From 100% Heirloom seeds, fruit trees, Muscadines, chickens, goats(for milk), and honey bees. Each year I am trying to do more in that direction. I know I sleep better now than I did then. Still not there yet but closer.

A friend of mine was having lunch at KFC. He called me to tell me that their Honey packets say "Honey Sauce" on them.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey Yank,that sounds like Chow to me.:lol: I wonder if Wally World is aware of this,or if they even care? Jack

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Funny Ray,

Just throw in a little Genetically Modified Produce ,that's not really produce" and we got ourselves a meal.

8. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I kinda wish we had a Thread for "Self Sustainability" under the Everything Else part of this Form. I think there is a lot of good ideas out there that people could share.

9. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yankee, how about some pictures of your goats and your experience with them. We had goats for quite a few years and I have had notions at times of getting a few again! I think you are right about quite a few people being interested in things connected to self sufficiency.

10. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Testing done at Texas A&M on honey obtained from grocery stores shows most of it containing no pollen. The lack of pollen may help keep the honey from crystallization but it is said to also be a dead give away for laundered Chinese honey as the pollen content is an indicator of location of forage. Since there is an embargo on honey from China, they remove the pollen to hide the source and then water it down with corn syrups and other ingredients before laundering it through India to be shipped here. If you want to know more about this I have included a link for you to an article about it.
    http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

I went to the local beekeepers meeting last week and the person speaking said the at the State Beekeepers annual meeting last month. They brought in a guest speaker from Chicago, he told the audience that the restaurants in Chicago were paying 240 dollars a gallon for local raw honey.

So they had a garden show in L.R. and the association had a booth and decided to put 72.00 on a gallon of honey to see what would happen. He said it sold in 5 minutes. Norm here is around 60.00 a gallon.

12. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Crofter,

I don't want to steal this thread so I will post some pictures and start a tread in the Rural section.