Fall feeding in new York

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hudson valley mom, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hudson valley mom

Hudson valley mom New Member

I started feeding my bees on Monday and they went through 2 quarts mon and again on tues. should I continue to feed at this rate or is it too much? It seems like one in twenty return to hive with pollen so I am not sure if they are lacking food supply. I have about 200 acres of woods behind my house, but most veg and flowers have stopped blooming as far as I can see in my yard and neighborhood.

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

Welcome!

Tell us more about your hives- were they started from packages this Spring? How many and what size boxes are they in? Is their population big, and what did you see at your last inspection? What do their current honey stores look like? What does their current brood situation look like?

This info helps. :)

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

welcome hudson valley mom!

i would ask the same questions as omie did, as she said, it helps you and us for any replies we may give you. i have one more question, what type of feeder are you using for sugar syrup? a boardman? just my thought, 2 quarts is a lot for one day, so you might have a leaky feeder? if not, then they are packing it away.

post back and let us know.
    :grin:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a riverbee snip...
    if not, then they are packing it away.

tecumseh...
    a lot of new folks to bee keeping think that when the feeder (of whatever type) becomes empty that the bees have consumed the sugar water. I would guess they do consume some of the feed but most simply gets moved from one container (the feeding device) to another container (cells in a frame and generally at this time of year cells around the brood nest).

the type of feeder is important but knowing how much is enough most times can only be answered by knowing the size/population of the hive and the hive's total weight.

5. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I found out the hard way that coming and going and not even pollen is an indication they are getting honey. A top bar hive competely out of honey even though they where coming and going in large numbers. A ten frame lang that ate 45 lbs of honey during a period I thought they where bringing in more. and two nucs that have been completely unable to get stores for winter going.

So far I have feed all these a total of well over 100lbs of sugar. make that 2:1 and that is 150 lbs of sugar water. My 10 frame lang, my strongest hive can take 1.25 gallons of sugar water every two days. If I spread this out among the 4 hives 1.25 gallons a day is not enough. they run out before I can get back to them the next day. I will feed at this rate until I see the boxes are full.