Fall flow

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Barry Tolson, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Just saw the goldenrod in my area this morning starting to bloom. Hopefully we'll get some rain to go with it. Looking forward to smelling the goldenrod nectar from the hives. Smelly socks!

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have seen some golden rod starting to bloom in our area and a few other plants despite the heat and lack of rain. I got to say hats off to you. You have to be the first on any bee forum that admits looking forward to the smell of golden rod comming from the hive as it ripens. I been watching the posts looking for the first newbee to post the "Whats going on with my hive it smells dead post" :thumbsup:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I would like to have the smell of goldenrod coming from my hives, but they don't work the type that grows in our area? I mowed 15 acres of mostly goldenrod yesterday and most was blooming without a bee on it. If it would rain the aster would bloom, it's standing 5 ft. tall with buds ready to go. :thumbsup: Jack

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In S Jersey the goldenrod is really starting to bloom. The bees are working it especially in the afternoon. They used to just beard on the hive in the afternoon after working the melon fields in the mornings but now it looks like Grand Central Station all day with bees coming and going and lots of golden pollen as well as some white pollen.

5. beeleyray

beeleyray New Member

My fields are bare and there are few blooms of any type in Oklahoma. We have had too many days of 100 plus and no moisture. If it doesn't rain soon, I am fearing there will be no fall forage.

www.beeleyray.com

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

fall flow? now there is a concept.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

tec and WALT,are you trying to share your drought? We are feeding hay here now and when we walk across our pastures, it's like walking on shreaded wheat.Someone told me that round bales of hay is bringing $100.00 or more in Texas, depending on the type and quality :confused: Jack

8. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Jack, We were taught to share. ;)

A coworker says he's getting twice what he got for hay last year. Of course, he has about 1/3 the crop he had last year.

Walt

9. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Thanks to Irene and some rain off and on the last few days the cotton is blooming like crazy, so is the kudzu and the goldenrod along with dozens of weeds I can't identify. I'm glad for it...less we'll have to feed this winter! Sure wish y'all in Texas could get some good rain!

10. me2pl

me2pl New Member

Chico is kinda dreary right now, everything is still green, but nothing is blooming right now :(