Fall hive pictures

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Gypsi, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Last Sunday I went to see my gluey bee colony - translation descent of swarm bees I collected in 2014 that really stick their box shut. I had moved the larger parent colony to a different out yard, and had some robbing going on here so I talked to a friend with a nice yard and we set up my little 10 frame deep with 10 empty frames above for honey filling back in July.

I went over and treated for mites in mid October, and got them a good lid on for winter, they had plenty to forage and I wanted them broodless for treatment so they hadn't been fed since early september.

They have already built burr comb bridges between bottom and top frames. The bees will use those to move up to food as the bottom box is depleted so we did not go into the bottom, risk rolling a queen at the worst time, risk damaging winter brood that might be present. There were enough bees I had no concerns on population.

Will try to put some pictures in comments.

2. Gypsi

Pretty easy to copy link from photobucket, just using direct link code. Click the picture button on your comment, it will ask for URL, paste direct link in, and post reply. Easier than I expected

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

3. Gypsi

4. Gypsi

5. Gypsi