Fall in Florida--supers/feeding?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by CarrollwoodBees, Sep 8, 2012.

1. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

Hi All,

I checked the two hives today and they are pulling comb like crazy. I'm wondering if I need to keep feeding.

Setup: 2 hives: West is 2 deeps. Brood is now mostly in top, both deeps have nice pulled comb, lotsa bees, about a half frame of drone cells, only saw one hive beetle. My FatBeeMan traps with boric acid are working, plus I use the oil traps--they give me an idea of populations.
    North hive is 3 mediums. Top was set on couple of weeks ago and they've pulled all the comb. Two bottoms have a 50/50 split of brood and pulled comb, lotsa bees, only 1 SHB seen.

Both hives, no capped honey, about a frame of open honey and minimal pollen. No white wax on bars, just in new pulled comb.

Question is: Central Florida's Brazilian pepper is just starting to bloom, so I'm thinking our Fall flow is starting. I had only fed each hive a quart of 1:1 syrup last week just to make sure they weren't starving, but want them to forage for themselves, if possible. Do I keep feeding, or has the flow started?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It sounds like they are getting enough without feeding. If they still have frames to draw, or more importantly what they have is not full f brood or food, they have enough room (if not too much) 2 deeps or 3 mediums is more than enough to go through winter in Florida.

3. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I was hoping you were going to chime in since the triple medium is one of yours. As you can see, I saved it (whew!) from the ants and SHBs. My concern is if you think they will be able to bring in enough honey to make it through the winter. They don't really have any now. And yeah, part of my question was if maybe there was too much room since that entire top medium is full of empty drawn comb. But I supered because that double medium seemed crowded. I always have a problem determining when to super.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

It is not really a problem to have too much eoom until the winter or small hive beetles come. Brazilian Pepper blooms Septermber through October. Smart Weed and Bush Aster should be coming in if you are a little rural.