Fall inspections and I meet an incredible resource

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zulu, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Zulu

Zulu Member

Iddee came out and helped me check my hives last weekend .

We found one frame of brood ( only one in 4 x 10 frame hives) that had something going on on the brood, Iddee was not sure about it, of course I was clueless.

So I put a call into our state bee inspector , Don Hopkins who happens to live close by...... The state fair had backed him up, but he came past today.

Boy what an education .... He quickly confirmed that it was Veroaa , causing the bees to exhibit some Hygenic behaviour , he pulled a few emerging bees out and did see deformed wings and we saw mites on the bees.

He then did a sugar shake to confirm mite count, yep about 60 in his bundle of about 300 bees, far too many. I have a pic which I need to upload.

Don then helped me put Mite Away on all 4 hives.

NC is so lucky to have Don, and I learned a lot again.

Thanks a huge bunch.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bee inspectors are I assume much like many government employee... not fully appreciated until absolutely needed.

I have never met one that didn't go way beyond their job description to assist the public and most of the time in a quite good natured kind of way.

In the larger scope of things... you don't want to get cross with bee inspectors here or there since they have their own net work of information. so any misdeed you do will follow you right down the road.

3. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

will you come and chck mine iddee? ; )

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Well, sure, shane. Just send your chauffeur down to get me.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Checked bottom boards today for mite count - 100's dead on the two I checked with removable bottom boards.

A little bearding at hive entrances of the hives with closed bottom's , the one hive with open bottom had no bees sitting outside.

have the pics here - but this laptop wont read the SD card since I upgraded it to Win7

will upload soon....

6. Zulu

Zulu Member

Hundreds of Mites after 24 hrs of Mite Away Quickstrip application. Local temps are in mid 70's daytime and around 55 last night. This hive is a deep and one medium super was treated with one strip on top of brood, bottom board was put back in for measurement and entrance left as is - ie winter setting.
    This is a feral swarm caught in April. Built up to 2 med supers slowly during the season, has had plenty SHB all season, but no damage as bees keep at them. Has been fed monthly.

[​IMG]

A few bees hanging outside - this hive has a solid bottom board

[​IMG]

The other bottom board from the Original hive - the one we have deformed wings in

[​IMG]

PS have washed the bottom boards so that I can get better pics tomorrow. These were just wiped down to have no detritus on them yesterday.

7. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

ok ill send ya a bus ticket lol

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WOW!!! A charter bus with driver. Even better than a limo. Thanks. I'll start packing.

9. ShaneVBS

ShaneVBS New Member

loool best i can do bro

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

great photos Zulu. we want more, more, more.