Fall swarm catching?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Jamisonbrooks, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

Got a call about bees on some ones farm they want removed. My question is my frost date is around November 8th witch is in a mounth is that anuff time for them to build up anuff honey to surviv the winter if not can I do any thing to help them surviv? I live in northern Kentucky.

2. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

I'm assuming this 'swarm' is in a building wall or similar location ?
    My response would be to advise them to wait and have you do it next spring
    Next spring because: less bees; less honey; if done during spring flower bloom most foragers will be occupied; and it gives the colony all summer to re-organize and build up.
    just my $ 0.02, and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Trexdarlington likes this.

3. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

ok so when these people have kids and are scared there kid will get stung then what?

4. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

First, 'scared their kid will get stung' is way different from 'their kid having been stung'.
    Parents need to educate their kids that 99% of the time, bees will not sting for no reason.
    Teach the kids to leave them alone, in other words.
    Second, we are getting close to cold weather (another assumption, that you are in the US) and soon the bees will be clustered for winter.
    Third, 'getting stung' is not a bad thing except in isolated cases.
    ( I can't count the times I've had parents say "My child is allergic to bees, he got stung and swelled up'. Well, yes, that happens the first few times...it still happens to me the first couple times each year, even after 50 years of it.) Educate the parents, in other words.
    Bottom line(s) ....wait till next year, teach the kids to leave them alone, teach the parents that being stung (except in demonstrated cases of actual allergic reaction to stings) is a case of 'stuff happens' and not to be over-protective.
    That's my take on it, the Soapbox is now available for anyone else who wants to join in.
    Gary

5. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

The point is unless you have some filled supers that you can put on, you will have to feed them through the winter and bees can starve below a feeder full of syrup during periods of cold weather. A candy or sugar board may be a better fit assuming they can get up into it from the bottom.

This all assumes you come away with a queenright colony after you collect them. If you do not get the queen and everything does not go well after they are back to your place, you could combine them with another hive after treating for mites, beetles etc.

Gypsi likes this.
  6. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

you can ask the people to wait, but if the response is they are getting an exterminator, save what bees you can and like said above feed and care for them to survive the winter, usually once people start with they are afraid of kids being stung, they will kill off the bees.so the lesser of the evils is to remove them now, but if you can convince the people otherwise..end decision will be yours as you can talk face to face with the people..good luck either way...

7. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut New Member

My response to 'we are getting an exterminator' would be to WALK AWAY.
    If you try to 'save as many as possible', someone MAY get stung and you are right back to Square One.

8. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I think more info of where the hive is would make a better game plan...true sometimes you just gota walk away before getting dragged down too..

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The last 3 hives I've looked at down here were all yellow jackets. Are you sure they are bees?