False queen cells... I think

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jwsbees, Jun 22, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Hey everyone, just did a hive inspection yesterday. I noticed about half a dozen little empty queen cells on the bottom of the comb. I use foundationless so they were in the frame at the bottom. Curious thing, they were in the second box rather than the bottom. It appears to be a perfect example of swarm cells other than that.

2. Ray

Ray Member

I think you're seeing cups. Keep an eye on them, if you see larva you'll have some decisions to make.

3. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Yep, could be cups. Can't tell if they would be to supersede the queen or swarm. Hive has plenty of room but it seems like the queen is a little slow at keeping the brood nest full. I have never seen her. Also there seems to be a lot of drone brood.

4. Ray

Ray Member

Some strains of Honey Bees just like to build cups. I've found supersedure cells that the bees changed their minds about and chewed them out.

5. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Well I waited two weeks before checking on those cells. All but two were gone, the two left looked like viable cells. The hive was full of bees, layers of them on the frames. ( got stung in the fr#$%&gin eye too!) So I'm taking a chance. I grabbed that frame and three frames of brood and one frame of honey and put them in another hive. Guess I'll see what happens.