Farm life

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 25, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Well to date i've lost two cows and a calf, had to pull a calf from a first calf heifer day before yesterday and she hadn't got up (calf was to big) i had to stand her up with the tractor yesterday and got her walking a little but she was laying down that evening so i hope she can get up by herself today :thumbsup: . As if that wasn't bad enough i had to work in mud that wanted to suck your boots off (knee deep) and it started raining around 5:30pm and is still raining today :( . Bought $500.00 worth of seed for my truck garden, but don't know when the ground will get dry enough to plow? Out of 60 bee hives i've got 40 left, i combined some and lost several. The rivers up so i can't go fishing so i guess i'll wire and put foundation in some frames today. I do have 5 new calves that are running across the field with their tail up in the air and hopefully 15 more comming :beg: . Looks like March is going out like a lion, for me anyway. Jack

PS. But i still wouldn't live in the city.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My cows are due just any time to start calving. Got some heavy springers and they are making a good bag as well. Only a couple that I am worried about, first time heifers of course.
    A running calf with tail in the air is a real good sight to see, mama cow has paid her rent for the year.

Keep working with that mama cow, hopefully she will make it.

G3

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

G3, had to use the hip hangers on her again to get her up. Whent to the vet. and he gave me($10.00) a shot to give her, half today and the other half tomorrow, i gave her the shot before i got her up and i got her to walk into a stall in the barn (in the dry), she had layed out all night in the mud and rain. I gave her grain and some brome hay i had and she was standing at the trough eating when i came to the house. :thumbsup: They're tough, if that had been a human they would have died. Jack

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Y'all are making me homesick!!! I miss the farm, even with the mud and hard work and dealing with the weather it is the best life there is. Glad to hear your cow got up and started eating Jack, it's always a relief to see one turn around like that.

Good luck with those heifers G3.....you have some tremendous looking cattle to show for your work!

5. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

sorry to hear bout the moo cows Jack, My neighbor had similar problems last year w/ too big of calves! sad to see that happen.
    When you gonna split them hives this year? maybe I'll come play again? if your club will let me! How did the "twin towers" hives do?

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Beehunter,i hope she stays up this time. Most of the time you can blame the Bull for big calves, but i've had to pull calves from just about all breeds. I think it's my fault, i feed to heavy. They were going to ship me ten queens April 6, but i called and ask them the hold them another week, so i may be making splits about the time your in my area. The Beekeepers Assco. of the Ozarks club, is going to have our first outing May 1, at my farm. We have alot of new members that want to watch and do hands on as we go through some of my hives, after our picknic meal. :thumbsup: So come if you can and bring your beesuite, you can be one of the instructors if you want. Jack

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack glad to hear she is on the mend. On feed is always a good sign.

Thanks Mama Beek, I really hope all goes well. Should be getting 19 or 20 new calves, we will see.

G3

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I must say I admire you farmers. I always enjoyed visiting my neighbors at lambing time, but I didn't have to deal with the hard work and, sometimes, heartache that is not obvious to the casual observer.

Keep up the efforts with that cow. Friends of mine saved a horse that the vet said was a goner by propping him up with haybales until he regained his strength.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

First calf this morning, 85 pound bull calf. Up and stumbling around, nursing good. Tagged the little fella and mama was OK with it.

G3

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Went and checked on the cow this mourning, she was standing and waiting for her grain and hay. :thumbsup: I gave her grain and thought i'd give her the second shot the vet. gave me while she was eating. Well, she would have none of that,when i stuck her she took her head and knocked me against the wall ( never hurt me just hurt my pride :mrgreen: ) I thought if she was that strong i'd wait and see how she's doing this evening ( i don't like needles either). G3 glad to hear you've got your first calf on the ground, that's always a good feeling. :thumbsup: Jack

11. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I miss the smell of fresh worked dirt like in plowed. I miss the smell of fresh cut hay and spread manure, YES MANURE. I miss seeing the corn popping thru the ground and watching the ears go up the pickers shute in the fall.
    I do not miss the cows, I do not miss the milking either. I still don't think I would care for beef cattle either.

:D Al

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Al, i don't know how old you are but farming has changed for me over my 72yrs. I didn't like getting up 4:00am and getting the cows up, running them in the milk barn starting the pump, putting the can milkers on and off, striping the cow out, lifting those 10 gal. milk cans and putting them in the water cooler (a big wooden tub filled with well water) over night. Go to school, come home, eat supper get my homework done, get the cows up for evening milking, after milking clean up the barn, (scoop the manure out of the back trough). Of course i didn't do this all by myself (dad,mom and 3 brothers) we all done our part.(but i was the oldest boy) Yep, i think i like beef farming better :mrgreen: .I love the sweet smell of spring,everything comming alive, the meadowlark whistling on a warm day and i still remember grandad bringing grandma a fresh bouquet of sweet williams. I guess spring is a good time to reminisce about the old days, kind of makes us sad to think about it. Jack

13. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Beef cattle are a breeze compared to dairy no matter how you want to look at it.... except for the profitability part... :shock:

I managed to get all A.I. heifers from my best cows and only bull calves from my worst. Since the bad cows are only in my pasture long enough to raise a calf and go back to the sale I may actualy make some money this year.
    I did have to pull a monster out of a first timer but she had some Simmental blood in her that didn't mix well with th calving-ease angus bull. The calf didn't make it but momma came around. She has a great temper and a ton of milk so I went to the sale and bought a rank old cow with twin calves, took her home, stuck the twins on my gentle cow, and hauled the snotty one back to the sale. :mrgreen: Beef is up so I broke even on the cow and still have two calves to sell.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I'm 63 and also the oldest of the kids. I hated milking so much I traded my brother the jobs of getting in the fire wood, the home was heated with it till the mid 60's and mom cooked on a wood burning range till about 62 or there abouts. The job of cleaning out the calf, young cattle and bull pen plus cleaning out behind the milk cows just so I didn't have to milk those damm cows. We had open gutters not the trench type.
    My brother hated the boreing job of cutivating corn and other tractor work so I didn't have to fight him over that. I still love tractors and machinery.
    I also heat my home with wood today. The emerald Ash bore has made cutting trees easier as Kare doesn't complain about me cutting the dead ones down plus I get all I want from my south neighbour a city fellow.

:mrgreen: Al

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I farm my truck garden with a cub farmall, I love to set the throttle were it just idle's and cultivate my sweet corn, after you take the fenders off you can set the diggers where they will role the dirt right up against the stalks to help keep the wind from laying it down. :thumbsup: Now if this mud ever dry's up so i can plow and get started. :confused: Jack

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I too have put in many hours sitting on a cub. I know what you mean by setting the throttle kind of low. Sure can do a whole lot of thinking and clear your head in a days time of plowing and side dressing. Cutting hay is the same way when you can get in a big field and just mow.
    Never messed with the dairy side of farming.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Don't do hay work anymore, except haul the round bales out of the field to the hay lot.I pay the neighbor across the road, he has a cab with AC in it. My 3020 JD doesn't have a cab and i don't square bale no more. I don't miss mowing over those Bubblebee nest (you probably know what i mean :mrgreen: ) those babies mean buisness. You can get away with it the first trip, but you better put a overcoat on and have the tractor in high gear for the next 5 or 6 rounds, because they'll be waiting for you. :shock: Jack

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Sorry, that was Bumblebees, not Bubblebees :mrgreen: . It's late i'm going to hit the sack. Jack

19. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

We sold our milk to Kraft foods. It was in 10 gallon cans that I sware weighted 50 pounds empty. For years we had a stock tank on skids that got towed to the pump for filling in the morning, glad the pump had a pump jack on it to I was. when it was full we towed it inside the dry floor the the cans of milk were put in the cold water. the milk was picked up most days by 10 AM then the water was dipped out and given to the bull and young stock not allowed to run loose yet.
    In the winter we had to go down the hill to the spring and break holes in the ice so the cows could drink.

We bought cheese in 5 and 10 pound blocks from the dairy. OH that was the best cheese for sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches. Isn't any I've found in stores today worth a hoot for doing that.

:mrgreen: Al

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Second calf hit the ground this afternoon, a heifer out of my best cow, 70 pounds

I can not remember to take the camera with me.

G3