Farmall A

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Jun 3, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Can the play in the steering wheel on a Farmall A be adjusted out (it has a half a turn before it picks up) or dose it need another worm gear? It has a wide front end and i've tried to adjust the tie rods to take it out, but don't really know what i'm doing.:roll: Jack

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Jack:
    Check out yesterdaystractors.com.

3. Ray

Ray Member

A half a turn is a LOT. i would check everything. Start with the steering wheel and work down to the wheel bearings . A little looseness everywhere adds up. I am not a IH expert, but I think you have more issues than a worn worm.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would start by replacing the bearings, bushings, and seals in the steering box a lot of times this will tighten the steering up

5. pturley

pturley New Member

I don't have a tractor but was going to reply yesterday with the following (chose to wait until those more familiar replied first):

Worm and spur gears themselves rarely go bad, but all of the support bushings and bearings might. End-play, side play or play between the gears and shafts will all add to the total play at the steering wheel. (From what you describe, sounds like ALL OF THE ABOVE).

If it really is the gears, look for worn or rolled teeth on the spur gear. NOTE: if this were the case, you would have play at more discreet locations in the steering travel, not universally.