Farmall Cub tractor Problem

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, May 31, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

I drove it in the storage building last fall, and now it won't start? It's getting fire (put new points & condenser in), getting gas, and i checked the timing?? I'm thinking a stuck value,( the engine spins fast and easy) anyone know a good way to unstick a value on a flat head engine without tearing it down? One man said to tie a chain to it and put it in 3rd or 4th gear and pull start it, but the battery spins the engine good, can't see why that would make a differants?? Jack

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I would not tow it; there is a chance of the spring keeper popping off that way. It will be most likely stuck valves. I have had mice carry corn in and plug the intake but that jammed the engine too. There is an inspection cover under the manifolds that will let you get at the cam followers to jiggle them or watch while the engine is turned over to see if the valves are hung up. I dont know whether you can access the cover without offing the manifold assembly. If you had to pull it you could then blow in some penetrating oil. Could also get some in thru the spark plug hole.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Do a compression test. If you don't have a compression gauge, your local auto parts store probably has one to loan or rent cheap. The cylinders should read within 5-10% of each other. If you do have a valve stuck in the open position, you'll get a reading of zero psi. on that cylinder.

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Buy some "SeaFoam", remove the plugs and fill the cylinder. Wait 24 hours and turn the engine over. I've seen this done with good results. The key is patience. Give the SeaFoam time to work.
    ​Good luck.

5. brooksbeefarm

Gunny, i've got a compression gauge, but i was trying to avoid taking the hood and gas tank off (they are one unit). I guess i'll have to treat it like a bee hive, if i want to know whats going on inside, i'll have to go inside. I have sweetcorn up about 3" and had the fenders on the cultivator and was going to give it it's first round before the 3" rain we got last night. Now if i don't get it going the weeds will out grow the corn. I was just trying to find an easy way out, but that's life on the farm.:roll: Jack

6. brooksbeefarm

Wayne, i guess i could take the plugs out and hold my finger over each hole to find the weak cylinder. I'll give it a try. Not enough room between the gas tank and head to use a spark plug wrench, have to use a box end wrench to take the plugs out. Thanks, Jack

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Those old tractors remind me of new cars, they ain't designed to be worked on easily.

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The compression test would tell the tale for sure. That has a hand crank, doesn't it? If it does you should be able to feel each compression stroke close enough to tell you if valves are stuck open.

9. power napper

power napper New Member

If you are certain that you have spark and have fuel, could you be missing air--separate the air filter and see if it starts.

10. brooksbeefarm

Crofter, i turned the crank after i took each spark plug out one at a time and checked each cylinder, # 3 had little if any resistance when i turned the crank. I have it soaking in sea foam now. power napper, i have fire and checked the carb. and it's getting gas, i put my hand over the intake and turned it over and i had suction, i even shot starter fluid in the intake and turned it over and it didn't hit? Wouldn't you think one of the other cylinders would fire on the starter fluid??? Jack

11. power napper

power napper New Member

It should run for sure. Are you sure nothing is blocking the exhaust like a mischievious potato shoved in to plug it?

12. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Yes, it would run on three or even two functioning cylinders. Lack of compression on one tells you something is not right. I have met up with some weird things though! I will see if I can google up some detail on that engine. Depending how the distributor is driven it is possible to have spark without proper cam shaft function and also apparent engine intake even if part of the manifold is restricted. Did the tractor have a flap on the exhaust stack? I have known mud daubers and mice to clog the works!

13. brooksbeefarm

Yes it has a rain flap on the muffler, and it's been in the dry all winter.This tractor has always started after setting without use for three months at a time, as long as the battery was up?? It run perfect when i put it in the garage? i might add that when i first tried to start the tractor it spit and sputtered and backfired a couple of times, but hasn't done that since? I have one of those spark testers that goes on the plug and lights up when you turn it over and the spark is bright, i would think if you had fire and shot starter fluid down the intake you would get some kind of reaction? Jack

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

"I might add that when I first tried to start the tractor it spit and sputtered and backfired a couple of times"..........Ignition timing.

15. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Is the spark occurring when the piston is TDC on compression though? Backfiring is one symptom of being out of timing sequence ( intake valve not seating also will cause backfiring).

If ignition timing is far enough out it may not fire at all. For instance if someone creatively re-arranged the plug wires each cylinder could fire on the exhaust stroke where there is no compression. A quick check would show firing the correct number of degrees before TDC as specified ( but on the wrong stroke) Do you have any such friends with a sense of humor?

16. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Correction: I meant to say ignition and/or valve timing. Thanks Frank.

17. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Gunsmith, yes some things could functionally put both out and if that were a chain driven cam I would guess at that. From what I see it should be all gear driven. The distributor gear may be an idler gear and normally that should all stay in sync. and shouldn't just randomly slip; I have known the camshaft to break though and on that setup would still drive the distributor but not the valves. Some cylinders would still show compression. Far out scenario but possible. Sometimes when sitting the ignition contacts will corrode and not start. If jack changed the points perhaps the firing order of the plug wires got changed. 1432 and 1342 seems close enough it would be easy to do. Sometimes wire length and routing would make it obvious other times not. It is more than likely something simple and here I am describing something exotic!

18. brooksbeefarm

I do have friends like that:roll:. But the tractor is kept in a locked building and my wife and i have the only key and none of them have been around.:thumbsup: I've checked the firing order several times 1342, the sea foam has been in there for about 24hrs. now, i'll run it out and see what happens? If that doesn't do it i may try pulling it before i start taking everything apart.I have rebuilt several A,B,C.H. Farmall tractors and thought i knew something about them:???:. This ones got me stumped? and my problems keep getting bigger. One corn field is up 4" and weeds are growing, had over 5 inches of rain over the last two days,so i couldn't cultivate now if i got it growing, and the second sweet corn fiel is sprouting.To make things worse my wife (she thinks she's so smart) said why are you worried about that old tractor, don't you remember you have 12 more.:shock: I didn't know she was counting.:lol: Jack
    PS. women just don't seem to understand.:roll:

19. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Jack, 1342 should be correct; this could be construed as insulting but did you use the observed rotation of the rotor when plugging in the wires? CW or CCW depends on point of view, lol! I hit once on a new condenser that was open circuit...... no go! Grasping at straws here but it is important in this kind of situation to make no assumptions.

20. power napper

power napper New Member

Do you have a spare condenser to try?