Farmall Cub tractor Problem

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, May 31, 2013.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My guess is point gap is wrong. It would do exactly as described if the points were loose and slipped. I would file them and reset them.

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Problem solved :thumbsup:', i turned the crank and run the sea foam out of the cylinder (#3) put the spark plug in and turned it over with the starter, it sputtered twice, i turned the distributor 1/4 inch clock wise, hit the starter and she purred like a kitten.:thumbsup: It filled the shop with blue smoke until it burn the sea foam out, my wife run out and ask if i was alright, she thought the shop was on fire.:lol: I want to thank all of you for the input, this one was driving me crazier, if that's possible.:roll: Jack

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Glad for you Jack. That Sea foam ranks right up there with duct tape in my book.

4. kebee

kebee Active Member

So glad you got it running, didn't know anything about the tractor, so I didn't want to offer any bad advise. I sometimes have had bad problems getting lawn mower started and it seems to be at the wrong time so I sure felt for you on this.

kebee

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It still sounds like the points could have slipped. Just for security, I would check the point gap and tighten them securely. Then if the timing needs to go back that 1/4 inch, you will know what happened. It may keep you from walking back from the field.

6. brooksbeefarm

I to thought the points were burnt when i first tried to start it and put new points and condenser in,(The old points were still in good shape). Many times i have thought i had carb trouble and rebuilt the carb, only to find out a new set of points is all it needed. I still can't figure out why it wouldn't hit with the starter fluid??? Another mystery, all the hydraulic fluid had drained out on the floor from the reservoir, after i got the tractor started i changed the oil and filter, lubed all the joints and filled the hydraulic reservoir,hasn't leaked a drop?? Jack

7. brooksbeefarm

I bought a new battery because the old one was getting weak (3 years old 6 volt). Used the cultivator for two days and the battery died in the field? tried to charge the new battery and charger didn't work on 6V so switched over to 12V and it started charging? Come to find out they sold me a 12V battery instead of a 6V.:roll: The Gen. wasn't putting out enough to keep the 12V charged is why it died in the field. So far i haven't had any problem after putting in the new 6V battery:thumbsup: I was worried about the 12V battery doing damage to the points,condenser,voltage reg.,generator,or stater??? so far everything seems to be working. Any thoughts:???:. Jack

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I would be worried about the voltage regulator too but not so much the other items.