Feeder question--

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Buzzen, May 7, 2013.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen Member

Just got a hivetop feeder from Mann Lake, the one with black plastic reservoir w/ screen to keep bees from drowning. Has anyone had problems with them building comb in the recesses underneath? Looks like that could be a problem. I haven't used one of these before but they seem like they would work well as long as there isn't a mess of burr comb to clean up. Anyone else use these?

2. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

any space larger than 3/8" will get burr comb. So if that's the case with this feeder add some plywood fillers to address the voids. For me the pickle jar with a few holes in the lid does the trick. I love the re-use part of the 3 R's

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

They build some comb underneath but it scrapes off easily. the problem I had was that the screen didn't fit well and I had to run a bead of silicone around the edge of the screen to seal it to keep the bees out of the syrup. But it's all well now and they're doing fine.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If the bees are building comb underneath the feeders are being left on to long and or you are feeding to much.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have two sitting in the shed. I don't like them. The sugar goes bad too fast and had dead bees. I like zip lock baggies and front jar feeders.