Feeder Question...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, May 17, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

New Package Installs a month ago. They haven't even drawn 5 frames and don't seem to be touching the Sugar Syrup.

Dandelions blooming and tons of other trees and flowers blooming.

I can take the feeders off right and they will still draw the comb?

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Is there a queen/eggs/brood? Sounds like something's amiss in the hive to me. You could also consider adding some HBH or lemon juice to your syrup to make it more attractive to the bees. Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

It's the hive that a friend had to hive for me a week after my arm surgery and when I checked for Queen Release I saw that he direct released her because he popped the plug out on the side opposite the candy...

Maybe they weren't used to her yet and killed her...

4. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I would agree with that assumption.

5. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Well, hopefully you are back up to speed with being able to get back in the hive.
    Since you saw the efforts of some drawn comb. You're going to have to take another look and see if any brood/eggs. If none then they dwindle to nothing without help. Either another queen or a frame of brood and early eggs to make their own new queen. Then the feeding continues.
    Or do a newspaper combine with another weaker hive to get some usefulness out of the remnants.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i would look for some problems they have to have a reason to draw comb.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

How has your rainfall been? drought? downpours for weeks? Beekeeping is really local.

8. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Weather has been average. I looked quick for eggs but I had to check it in the evening and it was kinda cold so I was quick. This week I am going to do a good inspection on a nice day.

Kinda bums me out if the Queen was direct released and killed...the packages aren't cheap.

I should have some young eggs and brood in a week or 2. All 4 of my Hives are either new this year or weak and requeened...

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well Don, it's going around. I'm about to go out and open 2 hives that don't have much traffic, and see just how bad it is. We have had a little rain, but basically the drought in my immediate vicinity is continuing. I wasn't feeding for a couple of weeks, hoping the flowers coming in would produce a honey harvest, I think I've damaged 2 hives in the process.

Hope you find things better than you think.

10. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well the entrance looked busy yesterday. I opened it up and it looked like there were a lot more bees.

Does anyone use the wooden feeders from brushy mtn that have the floats in it? Not sure where the inner cover is supposed to be but I had it on top of the feeders and that's when they didn't seem to touch it. Last week I moved it below the feeder and now they are using the feeder.

I also had the SBB blocking boards in my hives because the nights are still dipping into the low 40's and my 2 new hives had small spots of mold starting....Boards are gone now.

Hoping that was the thing slowing them down. Time will tell. It's supposed to rain and storm today and tomorrow although it looks nice out now but I am sure that as soon as I decide to go do an inspection all heck will break loose, LOL! So I'll probally wait til Thursday when it's supposed to be nice!:cool:

11. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Don,
    I have used the feeder that you asked about for all of my feeding. I have always had the inner cover on top of the feeder and have no trouble with them using it. Only time they slow down is due to temps. Smaller volume in it works best unless ideal temps.
    Really like this when I've had a late nuc, allows for 2 gallons of syrup to get them going in a hurry with little interuption.

12. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Weird that my bees use it more with the inner cover below it...