Feeding a nuc?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Feb 25, 2013.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I had a package last year and fed sugar water for a while. I haven't had a nuc before(ordered two)...one will go in the existing 10 frame hive and the other in my new 8 frame hive. They are arriving 2nd or so week of April. So how much feeding does one have to do...feed until they stop taking sugar water? I do have some deep frames from my last hive with honey on them and two supers of honey(which I plan on taking...however I may save a frame or 2 for feeding later). Do you find that you have to feed as much or less than a package? Thanks, Halley

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

halley i am one to feed nucs and packages until they stop taking it, especially if you are using any foundation that needs drawn.

saving honey frames for reserve is always a good idea, in the event of a dearth, or stop on a flow. these frames can be used to feed the bees rather than syrup.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I myself will only feed a new nuc for about two weeks- then if flowers are blooming and the nuc looks active and well and I see the queen is laying and the foragers are bringing in pollen, i stop feeding and let them gather real nectar and pollen.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

definitely less with a nuc than with a package. for me generally (average nuc, average population) about (2) 1 quart jars given about one week apart. with honey in the frames this should be enough but any sugar water you give them will encourage them to keep growing. once you have a good nectar flow with a nuc you pretty much cease syrup feeding.... figuring you got better stuff coming in the front door and a nuc unlike a package should have something extra in the pantry for any occasion that the weather turn bad. with either it is a really really bad idea to allow the pantry to go totally empty.