Feeding above an inner cover?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Barry Tolson, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I was thinking that I read somewhere a long time ago that one could place an inner cover on on top of a colony...place an empty super atop the inner cover...place syrup or even scratched frames of full comb inside that empty super...then cover with your usual choice of lids...and the bee's could feed without much concern for robbing...and would take the feed down below the inner cover.
    Has anyone tried this? If so, did they actually take the feed down below the inner cover?
    Thanks
    Barry

2. BIGEDDIE

BIGEDDIE New Member

I use a feeder that fits over the center hole in the inner cover and then put an empty super on. the bees can only get in the feeder not the super. Get mine from Beeworks in canada.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

yes it works quite well I use gallon and half galllon pickle jars with a deep over the inner cover. You can open the top take one out and pout another in feeding is quick this way

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

[​IMG]
    These pickle jars are free from the local pizza joint just for the asking and a thank you. They make great feeders with only a couple small problems. Storage where they don't get broke, and a deep hive body to place around them while on the hive.

:mrgreen: Al

5. tcchris

tcchris New Member

I saw a vid where OJ Blount used window screen on top of his frames , and then notches above the screen for ventilation, then a cover . I made a modification of that . I have a box with a solid bottom covering my top super .
    In the bottom of this box I have 3 holes the size of mason lids . These lids can be used solid , or with window screen glued in mason rings , or with quart jar feeders . This allows me to feed , ventilate or completely close the top of the hive , while keeping SHB and wax moths from entering from the top of the hive . In Ga SHB are a big problem , and this has eliminated them from coming in the top . This is my first year beekeeping , I have two Hives , one of which I nearly lost to SHB . The box was easy to build , and has been working well for me so far , but I am new to beekeeping .

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I ues quart or 2 quart jars on top of an inner cover placed on a pvc stand i make. place a deep box with anouther inner cover on top of the deep and then a top on that and if robbing may be a problem i place a peice of window screen over the hole in the top inner cover. I use the pvc stands to keep ventalation working.