Feeding bees during a dearth

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Jul 27, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Good morning guys - As most of you are in the same boat I am in, it is HOT and DRY here in NW Arkansas. I know that I have a couple of hives that are not as big as the others and I am thinking I may should be feeding them a bit right now. I don't want to feed all of my hives because I know most of them have plenty of honey right now because I haven't taken any this year at all. If I do feed those hives that I know are having a hard time, is reducing the entrance down to a minimum good enough if I put a feeder on just those that are weak? I don't want to get a robbing situation started.

2. guyross

guyross New Member

I am feeding two splits. I have reduced there entrances and using top feeders to discourage robbing. I have been keeping bees five mounts so I'm really green.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Search "robber screen" and be prepared, just in case.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I can't use a robber screen if using a Boardman feeder, but i do have some top feeders - would that be better - especially on this small hive I caught this spring?

5. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Thinking of robber screens - I have some that my husband made like the photo in one of the earlier posts (probably last year) - is there a "good" time to put them on - like maybe when the bees start waking up in the morning so when they leave the hive they have to go out and UP to get away from the hive?

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

florida screens are a good idea

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can make your own robber screen and use it with a boardman, but top feeders are usually a better idea.

8. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I just went out and put a top feeder on and took off the "air-conditioner" from the top because I don't want the bees getting a whiff of that sugar water from that hive even though I know they will probably smell it anyway. I only put out 4 cups of sugar water and I'll check it in a couple of days. My other hives are probably ok - they had a lot of stores when I checked them some time ago, but this dearth has hit this area early this year. I was just concerned with this swarm I caught because I know they hadn't had the time to build up their stores like the other hives had.

I am just glad I didn't take any honey yet, maybe there will be a fall flow??? I had rather let them have the honey than feed them all year long.