Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys - As most of you are in the same boat I am in, it is HOT and DRY here in NW Arkansas. I know that I have a couple of hives that are not as big as the others and I am thinking I may should be feeding them a bit right now. I don't want to feed all of my hives because I know most of them have plenty of honey right now because I haven't taken any this year at all. If I do feed those hives that I know are having a hard time, is reducing the entrance down to a minimum good enough if I put a feeder on just those that are weak? I don't want to get a robbing situation started.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am feeding two splits. I have reduced there entrances and using top feeders to discourage robbing. I have been keeping bees five mounts so I'm really green.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't use a robber screen if using a Boardman feeder, but i do have some top feeders - would that be better - especially on this small hive I caught this spring?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of robber screens - I have some that my husband made like the photo in one of the earlier posts (probably last year) - is there a "good" time to put them on - like maybe when the bees start waking up in the morning so when they leave the hive they have to go out and UP to get away from the hive?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went out and put a top feeder on and took off the "air-conditioner" from the top because I don't want the bees getting a whiff of that sugar water from that hive even though I know they will probably smell it anyway. I only put out 4 cups of sugar water and I'll check it in a couple of days. My other hives are probably ok - they had a lot of stores when I checked them some time ago, but this dearth has hit this area early this year. I was just concerned with this swarm I caught because I know they hadn't had the time to build up their stores like the other hives had.

I am just glad I didn't take any honey yet, maybe there will be a fall flow??? I had rather let them have the honey than feed them all year long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts