Feeding bees TBH

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by BeepsBees, Apr 22, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Once I dump my package bees into a new hive I know I have to feed them. I'm reading mixed things about sugar water. Is there a more natural way to feed them? Does anyone feed new hives with honey? I'd like to go a natural route from the start with my bees, but I also want them to thrive and be successful. Any info helps. Pictures of feeders are a plus!!! We currently plan for a sugar water feeder (TBH) & I'd love to see pictures of yours or any other kind of top bar hive feeders. Thanks!! ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1461307160.734297.jpg

2. Jamisonbrooks

Jamisonbrooks New Member

I am new to this my Self But WHAT i have doen is use organic cane suger. Intel the nector flow starts. Them when you get honey you Can save a cupel of jars and feed iT back to them in the fall and spring.

3. camero7

camero7 Member

I would only use refined sugar syrup for my bees. The solids in the organic sugar can cause dysentery. Throw out any that you don't use in the spring because of mold issues. Might keep over the winter if you're in cold country.

4. Beezly

Beezly New Member

I thought organic sugar is a better alternative. Will take note of that one. I'll be switching to using refined sugar then

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I only feed imperial or other good quality pure cane sugar

6. Paul Cottier

Paul Cottier New Member

I feed with only pure cane sugar as well. I would advise to use honey feed that has been collected from only that hive as you dont really know what to expect from store bought or other hives. My feeder is a langstroth in-hive feeder.

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

there are definitely viruses that can be present in honey and some are quite lethal to a hive, so always know your honey source. I feed pure cane sugar as well, I have a jar system for summer,

I make fondant for winter. ameliaHive_sm.jpg

I make my own lids with #8 hardware cloth inside, makes it fast and easy to see if bees are out of syrup. Have 2 kinds of rain hat, one for serious weather and one for occasional summer showers but allows hive heat to vent out around the jar, since it gets really hot here. This is at one of my outyards with a lot of raccoons, so if the hive looks like it has a tack strip landing, you know why.