feeding granulated sugar to light hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Oct 18, 2011.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

While there are many ways to feed light hives, here is something we posted on the association website. It basically is the same as fondant, but considerable less expensive.

http://www.pennapic.org/feedingsugar.html

Considered by some as "emergency" feed, I have saved many hives by this method with both fondant and dry sugar.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

do you find it necessary to wait until a killing frost so the ants don't take over?

Good post it will not be long until some will need it!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:confused:
    Is there a reason that the inner cover not have a notch? I have notches in most of mine for the all important winter ventilation. Is the idea that all the moisture would be absorbed by the sugar and not need to be vented out?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Prevent robbing by bees and other pests, along with what you said.

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Yes, you should wait for a good frost so ants are not a problem.

And iddee, is correct. You do not want any way yellowjackets or other bees to enter into the cavity where the sugar is located.

As for moisture, I find most moisture issues as a beekeeper induced problem that mainly comes from syrup feeding. If left to their own devices, bees will mostly seal up the upper half of the cavity with propolis.

I find little moisture issues if no syrup feeding is done. And yes, the sugar does absorb a good bit of moisture. But I think my screened bottoms and upper entrance (not top entrance) allows a good bit of ventilation.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree with Bjornbee, i have brought several hives through the last part of the winter the past three years using the mountaincamp method. I haven't tried it as a total way of feeding,only to help them out from mid January on. It's been a life saver for me,like keeping me from making fondant in the wifes kitchen :mrgreen: Jack