Feeding in FL

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, Nov 2, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

A few months ago, while feeding the bees, I had at least 3 full combs of "honey". Unknowingly, I harvested some and was later told not to harvest during feeding because it's not pure. So I stopped feeding them in hopes that the honey would be pure. Checking my hive today I had hardly any honey and my bees were eating it, with many of them sticking their little heads in the comb. So I started feeding them again. When do I stop feeding and then at what point can I harvest PURE honey? I'm in cocoa beach Florida. ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1478099961.603123.jpg

2. paint504

paint504 Member

I'm in Naples fl, here the nectar flow is pretty much done for the year meaning if you don't have a lot of honey in the hive you need to keep feeding them until spring or they won't survive.

3. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Ok thank you. After feeding them, at what point can I harvest honey? (How long do I have to stop feeding them for the honey to be pure?)

4. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Also. I do one part sugar one part water. Should I do more sugar as it gets colder? And at what point do I need to cover the bottom screen with my bottom board?

5. paint504

paint504 Member

I feed my bees 1 part water to 1 part sugar and I have screened bottom boards year round but than again I'm 3.5 hours south of you I would cover the bottom when it starts getting cold.

6. paint504

paint504 Member

I wouldn't harvest any honey until next year because your bees will need it to get through the dearth plus it sounds like all your honey is tainted with sugar water/syrup. I'm not sure about TBH but with my hives I don't put my honey supers on until I'm done feeding so I know all the honey that is gathered is pure and not watered down with sugar water understand?

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Yes. I have a top bar hive so I don't have supers. My honey was tainted with sugar water so I stopped feeding a few months ago, but now they've eaten most of it so I'm back to feeding. I'm just wondering at what point can I harvest once I stop feeding. Thanks!

8. camero7

camero7 Member

Once you stop feeding any combs that were empty when you stopped will be pure honey. You can also harvest some of the sugar/honey combs if you'd like. They will taste pretty good too. Just don't sell the honey from them, consume it yourself. I do that occasionally.

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

At what point after I stop feeding will it be pure honey?

10. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

The rest of the combs I mean that do have "honey" in them

11. camero7

camero7 Member

They will be a mixture of sugar and honey. They taste fine, just not pure honey.