Feeding new beehive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm getting some 2 large size entrance feeders with my hives this week http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/La ... info/422L/ that hold syrup. Is this what everyone recommends for feeding? I've seen feeders that go on top of the hive that seem like they can hold alot more. I've seen fondant and pollen patties set on wax paper directly on top of the frames. Which one(s)? :confused:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The draw back to the entrance feeder is robbing. Keep a close eye on the hive and if you see bees fighting each other there is robbing going on. One way to combat that is reduce the entrance so the guard bees do not have such a big area to defend.

I like to use a quart jar on the inside cover and then set an empty deep over it and then the outer cover.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you install the bees and feeder, put a board over the entrance from the feeder almost to the other side, leaving a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch opening for the bees entrance. You should have no problem with robbing in Mar. Apr. or May. Plan to quit feeding or use a different way to feed in June through Nov.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or perhaps buy a box of one gallon zip lock freezer bags? feed until you have a box of bees.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I do that sometimes, works well! A gallon bag holds 3 qts nicely. You do need a shim or a medium to allow space for the bag on top of the frames.

6. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Please elaborate? Do I poke little pin-holes in the bags so the syrup oozes out?

If I make up some sugar syrup to make things esier for the person feeding it to my bees while I'm gone how long will it "keep" if I leave a large quantity in the fridge or something?

Thanks,

Ed

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

8. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Thanks for that video on how to use the zip lock bags. That was very helpful.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I didn't review the video. I use a fork and poke the bag about three times at or near the label after I seal the bag. often time I slightly press the bag to remove the air (which is likely not always necessary.. but that is just a part of what I do).

the more concentrated the sugar the longer it last. often time sugar once mixed will last a week or so here. some folks like to add lethesin (sp) to make it last longer. even when the syrup looks questionable I just place it outside in a tub and the girls pick it up anyway.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Ed, bags of syrup can keep for at least 2 or 3 weeks in the fridge.
    I add 1/2 teaspoon of HoneyBeeHealthy to my sugar syrup, helps keep it from going bad I think, and the bees like it.

Buy a good heavy quality one gallon bag. Fill it with less than 1 gal- more like 3 qts syrup. Too full and it will leak from it's own weight pressure.
    Bring to the hive and lay it down slowly and gently over the top of frames, giving the bees a chance to get out of the way. Then take a sharp razor and make about 4 slits in the upper surface of bag- not too near the edges or it will tend to dribble down. Each slit can be 1/2" to 3/4" long. Too long and the syrup will leak too much. Puch the slits with your finger to get a little bead of syrup pushed up, and leave it. The bees will take it as they want.

11. M88A1

M88A1 New Member

I made fondant cake and freeze them. When needed I break off a good size portion and set it directly in the hive just inside the entrance. I have a TBH with alot of room for the cake.

12. Tia

Tia New Member

PerryBee, love your video! What a great idea to use a slatted rack over the baggie! I'll tell you, you guys just keep on teaching me stuff!