Feeding patties - splits

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Murrell, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Have 2 splits about 5 weeks old, one doing good other one slow !

I have been feeding 1-1

I have some frozen patties in the freezer
    [ of which I am reminded quite often ]
    they are bring in some pollen.

Think if I thru a patty on it might give them a boost ?

We should be getting ragweed soon,

Murrell

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have found that pollen patties are like sugar syrup when they find a better source they will not touch it. I would suggest if they are bringing in pollen I would save the patties for spring

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am in full agreement with riverrat.

the exception to the above.... if upon inspection I didn't see any stored pollen in the languishing hive I would likely give them 1/3 of a patty as insurance and see how long it took to take it up. pollen patties are a real problem to feed at this time of year if you have any shb at all.

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I have patties on all my nucs right now. Bees are working them pretty hard, even though we're getting good pollen. I believe that bees respond to patties most of the time. But then I don't have shb problems up here.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell those patties might taste good with a slice of tomatoe. :lol: I was out putting electric fence around my last sweet corn patch (an acre) yesterday, and it sounded like i was inside a bee hive. Every tossel had two to five bees on it and their back leges were packed. :thumbsup: I'm thinking that i should put out a late sweet corn patch even if it won't make, just for the bees to collect pollen for winter. Jack

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Go for it Jack! As much as I love sweet corn, the girls happiness is more important than mine. I wish I had the land to put out more bee plants.

7. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Ok, Jack:

Got me thinking, I got about 3-3&1/2 acres, of ground I don't do any thing with.
    Now early this spring I bought me a big rear tine tiller, but with the tornado didn't get a chance to use it, lets see, tomatoes, sweet corn, a couple of genie hens, a pig or two, 500 lb. beef, a couple more hives of bees ???

Oh, I forgot I'm retired !

Murrell

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell, were not retired, that's for old people. We have just worked for other people till we can be are own boss nowaday. :lol: Had an old uncle tell me one time when we were pitching oats and i complained how hard it was (i was 12 or 13 yrs. old) He said ain't nothing work it's just something to do. :confused: I guess that's one way to look at it, it had to be done. Jack