Feeding pollen patties

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 22, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

By this time (last of Feb.) i would be feeding pollen patties, but this year with all the snow and freezing weather, i'm afraid if i start and the weather warms for two or three days the queen will start laying (thinking spring is here) and it turns cold again. :confused: I know this is just part of beekeeping, but i thought i'd see what some of you do, and your thoughts. Jack

2. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I'm going to be doing the same but I'm going to wait until the beginning of March to put pollen patties on. It's normally cold and wet enough then that pollen and nectar aren't consistant. It'll normally take 2 or 3 weeks for them to finish it and by then Spring will have sprung.

3. CentralPAGuy

CentralPAGuy New Member

Brookbeefarms,

I have the same fear. I wanted to start feeding mid-Feb, but this crazy weather with most low 40's put a damper on that. I am going to start feeding the second week in March. Last year, the girls were all over the neighbor's flowering cherry trees at the end of March and two weeks later, I had bees swarming

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack:
    I have routinely fed pollen patties to all my hives the past three season and will likely not feed pollen patties again unless there is some extreme change in the local environment or in some special circumstance (for example in a swarm box). for this location I cannot see that feeding pollen patties encouraged brood that much ahead of the regular season. I think I just get more bang for the buck by feeding syrup and fairly early in the season here there is more likely to be way too much pollen in the brood nest rather than little or none.

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Tec is correct about feeding with a purpose.

Around here, we have ample maples and other early season flowering plants that allow the bees to build up naturally.

Now if your raising queens, splitting hives, and all that, then it makes sense. But the average beekeeper who feeds usually just makes the bees swarm right before the main flow.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks all for your replies, we are begining to see a break in the weather 40's but still have night's in the teen's. ( we had 3ft of snow in March 14, 1971) The way things are going we could have a repeat :( . I have a weeping willow tree that buds erly and it sounds like your inside a bee hive if you stand under it, when it budsout :thumbsup: .( So far it's been holding tight). The girls have been out twice the last two weeks ( the low 50's). I will probably pick 4 or five hives to build up fast because i have 10 queens being shipped to me on April. 6, i will start some new colonies and requeen some failing queens. Guess i'm just getting anxious. Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well jack the spring is almost (it snowed today) upon us here. I now have drones in some of my stronger hives and it appears the fastest brooding up hives have queens that are somewhat to highly yellow.

good luck on the splitting...

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Seen a mistake in my last post, my queens are being shipped April 6, (not Feb. 6) Carn's. Probably made some of you wonder what i've been drinking sence it was Feb. 23 when i posted this. :oops: Jack