Feeding question

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rast, Oct 16, 2011.

1. rast

rast New Member

Any bee health problem with mixing a couple of gallons of contaminated ( a roach) honey with sugar syrup. And I'm not talking about the dead roach :) . I'm talking about mixing it.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good question rast... I would say give it a try. I really don't think there should be a problem.

3. rast

rast New Member

Thank's Tec. I couldn't think of a problem either. Easier to mix while the syrup is warm and will equalize the smell through out the yard.

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

You can feed just about anything to bees (discounting chemicals, etc.) as long as the bees are able to take cleansing flights.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With the number of roaches, dead and alive, found in hives, I can't see where one more would hurt anything.

Unless you are talking about the one that fits in a roach clip. :eek: ;)

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee bein' bad?

it might off set the smell of the dead roach or it could possible make you not care the least about a few dead roaches (or anything else for that matter)???

7. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol....green swamp gold....your bees are gonna get lazy an pig out on pollen n honey.....rasta'bees....lmbo.

8. rast

rast New Member

:D If it had been one of those kind, I coulda sold the honey and charged more for it. Hmmmn?
    I bought a tackle box full of tackle from a yard sale a couple of years ago. Didn't bother to go through it til on vacation in the campground. Found a baggie with some of IDDEE's type of roaches in the bottom. Told my wife, if we'd a got pulled over by a cop with a drug sniffing dog, we'd a never been believed. Without thinking, I just dumped em in the campfire. Yep, no mistake what my smoke smelt like for a little while.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got to appreciate your honesty. For every one like you there are 10 that would have pulled the roach out and sold the honey. hats off to you and a quality product. Ole Iddee must be getting the munchies all this talk about roaches :D

10. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol.....i bet it was a happy group of down wind campers....can a bee even get a roach disease....is there even a roach disease to talk about ???

11. rast

rast New Member

Thanks Rat, no, I couldn't sell what I wouldn't eat myself.
    KD, I was asking about mixing the honey with syrup, not whether the roach would cause a problem. That was just the reason to not sell it. I did set downwind by the way. :D Only thing it did was make me take another another shower to get rid of the smoke smell :( .

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Why not just mix it 50/50 with water?

13. rast

rast New Member

Done deal now IDDEE, on the hives. Inverted feeders. Strong honey smell to the syrup. Afraid it would start robbing if all hives in this yard didn't have some. Might anyway. Didn't have enough to feed all @ 50/50.
    By the way, something that worked well for me this summer was open feeding with inverted feeders on a rack about 30 yards from the hives, easy, fast and no drowned bees. A minimal amount of fighting. But, there's always a but, a large fire ant bed formed under it.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Take your shoes and socks off, stand on the mound, and stab them with an ice pick when they crawl up your legs.

Or buy a bag of Amdro, whichever you prefer.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

15. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

hmmmm....i'd choose the amdro....what were you worried about the mixing for (im asking cause i dont know) sounds like a good mix for bees ???

16. rast

rast New Member

Same reason you just asked 2KD, I have never mixed it before, better safe than sorrier.

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ahhhh....got ya....well it sounds like a good deal out of a bad deal....are your bees still bringing in nector n pollen....mine are...whats left of the spanish needles and a few other white flowers down by the wetlands paxafloria an 2 others i dont know that they are all over....whatever floats their boat i guess....still no new comb built though....i took off all the vent tops after work tonight...only went into one hive more than to peek...they have some frames filled with honey an are capping them....saw a few frames with eggs n brood near the outside frames...its still a weak hive tho....they just wont touch the plastic frames except the drone frame....others are 1 deep full but doubt they would build in a second super....i go in deeper this weekend if weather permits.

18. rast

rast New Member

My spanish needles are pretty much gone, Just the goldenrod they don't work and primrose willow here.
    I wouldn't add a box either. Comb building will start with the red maple bloom and feeding then. Do you have any drones left?

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

ya know......i didnt even look but now that you mention it....i didnt see any....now ya got me wondering....the goldenrod is everywhere...i havent seen a bee on any of it....there are not many spanish needles left here either an the lady next door just mowed her orange grove so there went that much more....the primrose here didnt show well where i could see it but with the river right next door an all the small swamps around im sure they are getting some of it...the neibor down the street still hasnt cut cane yet....any bees in floral city are on the golden rain trees...they are all in bloom there...red maple i got lots of....all these bogs have tons of them....i cant wait to see what they do then.