feeding questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by JUDELT, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

just checked on my two hivesand have few questions.both seem fairley strong. #1 hive ;when i checked them last wek they had taken 3 frames of honey from the top super and left 2 capped on the super .well, today the have filled those three and are working on 3-4 more. they have 2 med. supers and 2 deep brood boxes. the second super has always been brood and honey. the top brood is stores of honey. the next hive- very full of bees. last week i took one super off because they hadn't drawn it out. the 2nd super had a little drawn comb. today it is the same. the top brood box is almost, if not filled with stores; capped and uncapped. I was /am? going to give them some sugar water. should i add Honey Be Healthy? will the other hive rob the sugar water? thanks i advance . Judy

2. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

also' just had a thought;should i give 2-3 frames of honey from the 1st hive to the2nd hive? will this do anything for them? help, don't want to mess up!

3. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I can't really say what the fall is like in your area. Up here in the great white north, the leaves are falling and show is a month away. So all the supers are off and the bees are working on topping up stores for winter. I put on an inner cover, then an empty deep box, then the top cover. The empty box is where my pickle jar feeders go to prevent robbing. I was in the same sort of situation: 3 extra frames of honey. I have put them in the freezer and will give them to the bees in the spring if needed, or use to make a nuc.

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In all my syrup feeding endeavors, HBH lends itself to robbing. Just a few drops of the stuff is very strong smelling.

I won't use it anymore except in my hard candy feed and only then when it is too cold for the bees to fly much.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:

couldn't have said it better myself EddyHoney.

6. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

It sounds like your hives are in a good place. If you don't plan to harvest any of that honey then you can feed, though if the ladies are still finding stores they just won't take to it. If you have not had any problems with pests or diseases then you can give those frames of honey from the one hive to the other, honey is their favorite food!

7. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

thanks everyone. i also noticed the goldenrod and other fall things are blooming pretty heavy. I went out again yesterday and tried to give the 2nd hive honey frames but the bees were not happy me taking it, i had to close it up and get out of there!