Feeding suppliment on installations

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ibeelearning, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Will likely work as well as sugar water, but the price is quite different.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

this looks like a similar product to honey-b-healthy.....?

as far as the claims for helping to control the varroa mite reproduction cycle when used as a drench?......i question this. if it did, we'd all be using it. just my HO. i have never used this product, i don't treat my bees, so if there is some aspect of drenching the bees in this to help with varroa, i am all ears, antennae......

i have used HBH, (not this product) and not for the purpose of varroa. not much info on this, what are the essential oils in it?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I haven't use it either and relative to my sugar water and a few drops of lemon oil and sometime a 'glub' of vitamin B it looks a bit pricey.

likely will not hurt anything although I myself would discount any claims that it will assist in any defense against varroa <sounds a bit unbelievable to this sceptic.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

If you are going to go the essential oil route, much cheaper to put a few drops of spearmint or peppermint and thyme oil into a paste mix of sugar and Crisco shortening and lay a small thin patty on top of a piece of wax paper on the tops of the frames. But I wouldn't bother. Probably more effective to control mites through hygenic breeds, drone pupa culling, and well-timed splits.

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Wintergreen essential oil
    Tea Tree Oil
    Lemongrass oil
    Non-GMO Lecithin

Dilute 2 tsp per quart for feeding supplement.
    7:1 mixture for drench.

I used it in the sprayer for an install yesterday. I have to admit, the ladies loved it.

I don't doubt there is a cheaper way. But, just heading into year 3 this was the easy way.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks ibl,
    "I used it in the sprayer for an install yesterday. I have to admit, the ladies loved it."

"7:1 mixture for drench." i am still a skeptic though, like tecumseh, the claims of the drench being effective in any defense against varroa.

"I don't doubt there is a cheaper way. But, just heading into year 3 this was the easy way. "

well, that's okay ibl.....i use hbh, and pay the price for it because i am too lazy to mix up my own concoction.....:lol: