Feeding time again (still) ?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, May 14, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I got 2 nucs on April 28th, as our spring flow started to dry up. Good looking nucs full of bees. I used frame board feeders with an added wooden float, one per 10 frame deep, and got them to pull a couple of frames of wax. Let the feed run out last week, and we aren't pulling so much wax. I'd like some honey this year, but I think I am living in fantasy land. If we go back into drought I don't want my hive numbers so low they are vulnerable to robbers.

For now I'm building SBB's and migratory covers with a hole for a jar feeder on top, so I can monitor feed levels and they have room for 10 frames in their deeps. Killed 2 shb's and 2 wax moths in one yesterday, conventional solid bottom boards, the shb's were on the bottom board.

I bought a lot of medium supers hoping for flow and honey. Should I feed until the deep is fully drawn out, add a super and stop feeding? Or should I feed until the deep and the super are drawn out, then stop feeding? That is the question.

I've got work to do on the cutout hive and a bee tree to evict so I can have my apiary inspected and actually have everyone in a hive with removable frames. I need sbb's and screened inner covers on everyone.

Gypsi

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

"Should I feed until the deep is fully drawn out, add a super and stop feeding?"

I would feed until they stop taking it, once you super I would stop regardless.

3. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

I feed until they have drawn enough comb to overwinter on. I don't feed with supers on (drawn or undrawn comb).

The beek who mentored me when I first began feeds until supers are drawn out.

You'll have to pick what works best for you.

4. pturley

pturley New Member

I think you are correct in not following the advice of your mentor. Frames that are only drawn out 1/4" or so will already contain large amounts of nectar (or syrup).

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Since I think our rain is ending, (and honey is not likely to happen except bee-feeding-grade from goldenrod) and I do not have a reserve of drawn comb, I'm shifting to hive top visible jar feeders so I can monitor what they are taking, but I will continue to feed and hope they build up their numbers enough to survive summer robberies, and continue to build comb.

Thanks for your input.

Gypsi