Feeding?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Aug 10, 2010.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hi Guys - Not much happening here in the bee world in NW Arkansas - all I know it has been HOT! We have had heat indexes in the 100s - but of course some of you guys have been experiencing this also.

My question to you fine fellows is: I have not checked under the hood of my bees since we have had this hot streak because I don't want to mess up their air conditioning system in this heat. The last time I checked, I had lots of honey. I have added a 2nd super - but not much there yet, but the first super was FULL of honey. I haven't taken any honey from any of my bees yet because I didn't want to run them short during a dearth. BUT would it be a good idea to put a feeder on them anyway? I know if I do I would have to put a feeder on all of them because of the tendency to rob during this time? OR could I get away with doing some kind of "community feeder" for all of them? I haven't done that before. I just don't want any to starve before my eyes. The temps have not even cooled off at night. This has been the longest heat wave we have had in a few years. It is suppose to cool down a bit in a few days - high 80s- woop-de-do! and I thought I should peek in the hive then? What do ya think??

Sandra

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

>>>>My question to you fine fellows is:<<<<

I know you asked them, but I'm going to answer anyway.

They will be fine until at least Sept. 1. Then you can check and feed those that need. If you open feed, do so at least 100 feet from the nearest hive. If you feed single hives, do so with top or internal feeders and reduce the entrance down to 1 inch. Do not use entrance feeders.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee said plus...

don't be surprised when you open the hives up to find little or no brood. there is no absolute rule that works here (almost none do in the beekeeping world as far as I can tell) but about half my hives will almost entirely stop brooding. don't panic and think the hive(s) have suddenly lost their queen. actually I think???? this halting of brood rearing is beneficial at this point in time since it also interrupts the varroa cycle.

ps... if you did put on a feeder and fed a bit or when you did get some rainfall and some small quantity of fall bloom the queen should start laying up again fairly promptly although a very reduced level.

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Thanks Guys - I learned my lesson the hard way last year about feeding with a Boardman feeder this time of year!

I do have all my entrances closed to half right now because I had to water hose them a few weeks ago because they started on a robbing frenzy.

I did put a feeder out this afternoon - a good 100 feet - just to see if I get any takers. I will wait and check them later on in the month and see what the fall flow turns out to be. I just haven't taken any honey - nor will I if we don't get a fall flow.

Thanks Again

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I recently checked one of my hives and was a little surprised to find no stored honey at all... the reason that surprised me was because this hive sits in an area that doesn't get a true dearth as there is always at least an artificial flow (light syrup) available to them.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

perhaps the first or second or third lesson every beekeeper must learn for themselves is that this or that blooming doesn't automatically equal some flow large or small.

7. beekeeperhelper

beekeeperhelper New Member

Hush, Tecumseh! I've got my husband convinced that if I plant lots and lots of flowers our flow will increase. Of course, he has to till up all these new flower beds.
    Until I get my horticultural heaven going good, I'm brewing up sugar water with honey be healthy in it. Let's let that flow thing be our little secret . . . .

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I'm all hush here.